Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Friday, May 01, 2009

Ambient 4: Isolationism (1994)

In August of 1994, Virgin Records released the fourth and final volume in their definitive A Brief History of Ambient series. As things were starting to get a bit stale with the third volume, Virgin changed course, reaching beyond their own labels to widen the scope for this two-disc set. Focusing on the burgeoning Isolationism sub-genre, Virgin was able to license and compile a collection of exclusive tracks for this last blast. They also shortened the title this time around, omitting the A Brief History of part.

This compilation is the first major label release of this darker breed of ambient music. Most of the original indie electronic artists that pioneered this mid-90s musical variant are featured here. Stylistically, the ambient music that Brian Eno created in the 1970s was unique in that it was designed to work also as a passive experience; you could listen to it closely or let it play in the background as a non-distraction. Conversely, as this title's producer, musician Kevin Martin, put it when he coined the term, Isolationism is designed to "push away" the listener. This repulsive effect manifests itself in music that, surprisingly, covers a wide variety of attack approaches. Personally, the only similarity I find in these disparate pieces is the gloomy tone that sits at their core. Don't get me wrong, it's all quite enjoyable, but is maybe best enjoyed in smaller doses. Regardless, this is the perfect instrumental electronica to listen to on a dreary day. Particularly if your goal is not to cheer yourself up.

Check out the album mix of Scorn's "Silver Rain Fell" and Aphex Twin's "Aphex Airlines":





Ambient 4: Isolationism (1994)
1. KK Null / Jim Plotkin - Lost (Held Under) (7:45)
2. Jim O'Rourke - Flat Without a Back (4:47)
3. Ice - The Dredger (6:36)
4. Raoul Björkenheim - Strangers (4:42)
5. :Zoviet*France: - Daisy Gun (7:38)
6. Labradford - Air Lubricated Free Axis Trainer (3:22)
7. Techno Animal - Self Strangulation (6:04)
8. Paul Schütze - Hallucinations (In Memory of Reinaldo Arenas) (8:17)
9. Scorn - Silver Rain Fell (Deep Water Mix) (5:25)
10. Disco Inferno - Lost in Fog (5:02)
11. Total - Six (5:34)
12. Nijiumu - Once Again I Cast Myself into the Flames of Atonement (9:11)
13. Aphex Twin - Aphex Airlines (6:17)
14. AMM - Vandoevre (7:28)
15. Seefeel - Lief (6:07)
16. 'O'Rang - Little Sister (6:59)
17. E.A.R. - Hydroponic (6:18)
18. Sufi - Desert Flower (6:23)
19. David Toop / Max Eastley - Burial Rites (Phosphorescent Mix) (5:59)
20. Main - Crater Scar (Adrenochrome) (6:09)
21. Final - Hide (7:27)
22. Lull - Thoughts (8:02)
23. Thomas Köner - Kanon (Part One: Brohuk) (10:36)

277MB ZIP archives
MP3: Constant bitrate (256kbps) w/LAME 3.92

DOWNLOAD

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is certainly a must have. thanks. a complimentary release is Techno Animal's 'Re-Entry' which Virgin released around the same time as 'Isolationism'.

leafface said...

Wow, i only stumbled upon this accidentally now, as it's on the frontpage, but i was already looking for this once. I'm glad i found it now. Thanks for posting!

Steve Engler said...

I've been eagerly awaiting this, thanks man.

seneca tree said...

i'm getting a "archive is damaged" message and the rar won't open.

Kevin Sartori said...

It's probably the program you're using to extract with. Check out the Please Read This First! section at the top of the page for details!

seneca tree said...

I think the password may be wrong. Is there any way you can check that? I download a lot of rar files and only have this problem when i don't have the correct password. Your help is much appreciated!

Kevin Sartori said...

I just downloaded the archive to double check. It extracts fine for me. Are you sure you typed the password in correctly? What program are you using to extract with? You should be using either 7-Zip (PC) or UnRarX (Mac). Check the Please Read This First! section at the top of the page for details. If it's not either of these two, then it's possible your download is corrupt from Megaupload! I've heard of that happening before! Try downloading it again. Let me know if you're still having problems and we'll work something out!

Anonymous said...

thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

thanks for this
I like your blog: a strange but interesting composition of music ;-)

Buns O'Plenty said...

nice blog!

Hapi said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

icastico said...

This is a great collection.

Those who like it may like this, perhaps.

http://penmallet.blogspot.com/2009/06/aboombong-ambientrance-dub-dozen.html

creepstarr said...

What's happened to you Sartori I am going to delete you from my rss feeds if you continue this stagnation. You are positioned highly on my igoogle.com page but this drawn out lack of change is having a negative effect on my morning routine!

Kevin Sartori said...

Haha, Creepstarr. I know! I know! I was going so hard and heavy in the beginning! I enjoy posting music here, but I seem to be in a "lack of inspiration" mode right now! Your removal threat has been noted and I'll try to post an update here soon!

:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this. I have the other three titles in the series and love them. Am thrilled to finally hear the final volume.

Any chance you might feature 'The American Astronaut' soundtrack (The Bill Nayer Show) someday? Like the film, definitely its own breed of awesome....

thomas said...

great ambient stuff. thanks a lot for posting it.

A. said...

Thanks for uploading all volumes. Nice stuff!

Whtrz said...

I bought this album when I was 12 and was completely knocked sideways by it. Not much I've heard in the ambient or dark ambient genres comes close to this. I sold it a couple of years ago and didn't make a copy, so thanks for posting this!

Anonymous said...

Can someone please! Upload this to mediafire! I am dying to get this album and its $69.00 at Amazon, wtf!

Kevin Sartori said...

I just checked the Megaupload link and it's still active. Can't you download from Megaupload?

Anonymous said...

Yeah it is active, and thanks for putting it up when you did, but for some reason Megaupload downloads at literally 65b/s (yeah, bytes) here by me and then just fails out on me, whereas Mediafire finishes it in a few minutes. I don't know what could be the cause. I'm struggling to get this and this album, along with Techno Animal's "Re-Entry" are the two most essential albums of all time imo!

Anonymous said...

I get this message when I click "regular download" of megaupload:
The requested URL /files/c50124557c63031007c45fdc6a156c76/ABriefHistoryOfAmbient1-PLM.rar was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

want to get this - how?

Kevin Sartori said...

I'm not sure what to say. I just went and downloaded both Volume 1 & 4. I'm not sure how you're getting a 404 error. I'm not sure how to help because I'm not having any issues with Megaupload. Maybe it was a momentary problem? Try again! It should work!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Rob said...

Love the darker stuff. Hope you run across some more in the future. In the mean time, many thanks again man.

Kevin Sartori said...

Because Rapidgator has become unreliable, the share has been uploaded to Game Front and is available now!

Kevin Sartori said...

The share has been moved to Uploaded.net and is available now!

Greg Biggs said...

Oh man i gotta send yo ride the great snake into the eternal sky i gotta some send youu a collection of some of the deeply moving and disturbing yet soothing masterpieces and journeys I've traversed in my music adventures, you would love em,

Greg Biggs said...

please make a search box on your blog sir. quite needed or atleast my dumbass needs it pleeeease please i can tell there will be some interesting things on here

Kevin Sartori said...

Hey Greg,

Check out the Posted Here So Far list on the right-hand side of the page, that's a list of all the albums I've posted here!

Anonymous said...

Hello everybody. Where can I find the password for this rar? Thanks a lot!

Kevin Sartori said...

The archive isn't password protected, so you should be able to extract the files just fine. What program are you using?

Anonymous said...

Wow. I haven't thought about this album for years. Suddenly remembered the title, tapped it into Google and Bingo! here's a download. Many thanks for this one.