Fallout 3 is an addictive RPG situated in an unrelentingly bleak post-apocalyptic future. Created by the folks at Bethesda Game Studios, the gameplay mechanics are similar to their earlier hit, the fantasy-themed The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Like 2007's BioShock, the soundtrack utilizes popular music from the early to middle twentieth century that effectively evokes a nostalgic sense of loss. Bethesda also contracted Inon Zur to create a more traditional score to extend the epic experience further.
This game's only official soundtrack was a five track promo given away to those who pre-ordered the game from select retailers. This promotional CD contains two themes by Inon Zur ("Main Title" and "Megaton") as well as three popular music tracks (The Ink Spots' "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire", Roy Brown's "Butcher Pete (Part 1)" and Bob Crosby and the Bobcats' "Way Back Home"). The game itself features an additional seventeen popular music tracks. Fortunately, it's possible to actually rip these tracks directly from the PC version of the game, where they were originally encoded as 192kbps MP3 files! I've also included "Dear Hearts and Gentle People" by Bob Crosby and the Bobcats, which, although not in the game itself, was featured in the commercial for the game and fits in neatly with the other tracks. Unfortunately, the majority of Inon Zur's soundtrack music that could be ripped from the game are short cues that work better in-game as fill-in atmospheric music. I've included the only longer cues I could find, seven "Battle" themes.
I've maintained the running order of the five track promo by inserting the additional twenty-five tracks in what seems the most logical way. The songs follow the running order of the ending credits, which, aside from the first track by The Ink Spots, is strictly alphabetical by song. I slotted "Dear Hearts and Gentle People" where it would have been if it were actually listed in the end credits. I threw the seven "Battle" themes after the songs and just before the final track, "Megaton," which closes this compilation on the same note as the promo CD. Eight of the songs were licensed from music production firm APM Music, Inc. and I was unable to determine the year that these tracks were originally recorded.
Check out the teaser trailer that features The Ink Spots' "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire":
Check out the E3 trailer that features Bob Crosby and the Bobcats' "Dear Hearts and Gentle People":
Check out Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters' "Civilization," Billie Holiday's "Easy Living" and Ella Fitzgerald & The Ink Spots' "Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall":
Update 03/30/2009: An anonymous poster below was kind enough to mention an additional track that I missed! "Into the Wasteland" is one of three Inon Zur tracks that you can preview on the official Fallout 3 page. For whatever reason, it's also the only track of the three that did not end up on the promo disc. I found a 320kbps encode of the track on Soulseek and placed it just before the final track on this compilation. Thanks, Anon!
Fallout 3 (2008)
1. Inon Zur - Main Title  (2:06) *
2. The Ink Spots - I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire  (3:06) *
3. Cole Porter - Anything Goes  (3:08) #
4. Tex Beneke - A Wonderful Guy  (1:52) #
5. Sid Phillips - Boogie Man (2:23) #
6. Roy Brown - Butcher Pete (Part 1)  (2:28) *
7. Billie Holiday - Crazy He Calls Me  (3:02) #
8. Danny Kaye / The Andrews Sisters - Civilization  (3:00) #
9. Bob Crosby and the Bobcats - Dear Hearts and Gentle People  (2:09) +
10. Billie Holiday - Easy Living  (3:02) #
11. Gerhard Trede - Fox Boogie (3:15) #
12. Bob Crosby and the Bobcats - Happy Times  (2:41) #
13. Jack Shaindlin - I'm Tickled Pink (1:48) #
14. Ella Fitzgerald / The Ink Spots - Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall  (3:06) #
15. Billy Munn - Jazzy Interlude (2:49) #
16. Gerhard Trede - Jolly Days (1:40) #
17. Jack Shaindlin - Let's Go Sunning (1:41) #
18. The Ink Spots - Maybe  (2:50) #
19. Roy Brown - Mighty, Mighty Man  (2:33) #
20. Eddy Christiani / Frans Poptie - Rhythm for You (2:59) #
21. Allan Gray - Swing Doors (2:58) #
22. Bob Crosby and the Bobcats - Way Back Home  (2:53) *
23. Inon Zur - Battle 01  (3:37) #
24. Inon Zur - Battle 02  (3:25) #
25. Inon Zur - Battle 03  (2:02) #
26. Inon Zur - Battle 04  (3:27) #
27. Inon Zur - Battle 05  (2:41) #
28. Inon Zur - Battle 06  (2:59) #
29. Inon Zur - Battle 07  (2:57) #
30. Inon Zur - Into the Wasteland  (3:28) +
31. Inon Zur - Megaton  (3:26) *
* = From Featured Selections from the Fallout 3 Soundtrack Promo CD
+ = Bonus Track
# = Game Rip Bonus Track
119MB ZIP archive
MP3: Constant and Variable bitrate (194.1kbps average)
Please Read This First!
The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!
Thursday, March 19, 2009