Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Dump - That Skinny Motherfucker with the High Voice? (1998)

James McNew formed Dump, a one-man four-track side project, in January of 1991. After a half-dozen releases, Dump was put aside to focus on his job as bass player for Yo La Tengo. McNew resurrected Dump in 1998 when he released a seven song cassette homage to Prince entitled That Skinny Motherfucker with the High Voice? Prince fans will recognize the title as a self-referential line from the bizarre song "Bob George" off the infamous Black Album. That Skinny Motherfucker with the High Voice? was released on CD in 2001 with five bonus tracks added to the end.

The only way I could describe Dump's sound would be "low-fi indie." One thing for sure, it's definitely a strange and somewhat downbeat experience. At the same time, it's also totally entertaining. But you have to wonder, how serious is this project? Prince is an easy target and while this is never jokey, it certainly isn't totally lacking in levity. I think an important clue can be discerned if you take a look at the song selection. While the majority of the covers are singles, there are three b-sides ("Erotic City," "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore?" and "Another Lonely Christmas") and one unreleased track ("An Honest Man"). On song selection alone, you have to figure that James McNew must be a serious Prince fan. As odd as it may seem, I think this is a heartfelt tribute that is expressed in an unexpected way.

But be warned, if you're the kind of Prince fan that is overly touchy about the 62" wunderkind, then you may have trouble enjoying this. Which is your loss, really.

Check out "A Love Bizarre":



Dump - That Skinny Motherfucker with the High Voice? (1998)
1. 1999 (6:59)
2. Raspberry Beret (3:31)
3. Erotic City (3:20)
4. The Beautiful Ones (5:19)
5. When U Were Mine (4:02)
6. How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore? (3:27)
7. Pop Life (3:48)
8. A Love Bizarre (6:52)
9. Girls + Boys (4:41)
10. Dirty Mind (4:16)
11. An Honest Man (2:55)
12. Another Lonely Christmas (5:08)

93.1MB ZIP archive
MP3: Variable bitrate (238.9kbps average)
LAME 3.97 (--preset fast extreme)

DOWNLOAD

19 comments:

DJ COOL LEMONADE said...

I am exited having found your blog and look forward to surf backwards through your posts. I would have loved to hear this, but Megaupload tells me that the download limit for this album is exceeded.

Is there any reason you don't use sendspace.com or mediafire for your uploads?

I hope I will have more luck with the other of your uploads, and thanks again,
William

nox said...

Love your site. By the way, I tried to download the Dump file, and after I entered the password I was told that the archive couldn't be unstuffed because it was damaged. I'd really like to hear this--could you re-up?

Kevin Sartori said...

Nox, please check out the note at the top of the page. If you're on a Mac, you need to use UnRarX because StuffIt doesn't handle password-protected archives. On Windows, use 7zip. Again, read the Please Read This First section at the top of the page for better directions! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for posting slightly out of place, but is there any chance for a reupload of Cornelius "69/96"? Extremely interested in this album and it appears the link is dead.

Sorry and thanks for your help.

Kevin Sartori said...

No problem, anonymous. I just looked and my Cornelius 69/96 archive is still listed in the Megaupload file manager. When you try to download it, though, it's "temporarily unavailable." I've seen this with Megaupload before. Give it a day or two and it should be available again. If not, I'll re-upload it.

Anonymous said...

Alright man, thanks a bunch. I'll let you know in a couple days if I still can't get it.

Great blog, by the way.

Princerave777 said...

I love this .... thanks for posting this!

BTW - Great Blog

Check out mine sometime & let me know what you think.

Anonymous said...

Great find, I like it. Your Blog is very inspiring. Thx for the work.

Anonymous said...

great CD. I think its a brilliant prince tribute and not jokey at all. This is the best kind of homage because the person singing seems to actually understand the songs.

makes you realise even more what great songs they were because they are not presented in a shiny, produced way (not that im criticising prince's originals just covers in general)

thanks a bunch, and for all the others ive wanted for years!

dc said...

Man, this is absolutely awesome.
And also is your blog.
Thank you so much.

Richy said...

The farfisa player in '1999' is Morgane Lhote, formerly of Stereolab. I had the good fortune of working with the sweater girl at a database info corp. in Soho, NY as she left the music biz and on odd/rare occasions, assisted and appeared on various friends and co-horts musical endeavors.

b-e-d-t-i-me said...

nice! i had been looking for my copy of this record for years. and then i finally found it, only to realize the cd was missing!

anyhow, now i'm gonna browse the rest of this here blog. thanks for this one!

jonathan

aightthen.tumblr.com

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful CD. Found U thru a search 4 this abbum. Pop Life just made me go "aww". This blog is going 2 be Xplored by ME! ThX.

mrfrosty said...

hello mate,
thanks 4 posting this. i just stumbled over this while compiling a perfect prince mix (watch out!) and i'm really exited over this album. good work, nice blog too! all the best----> frosty the soulman

darkflux said...

heh, haven't seen this in awhile. i believe i first saw it in a Goodwill somewhere awhile ago.
should've grabbed it when i had a chance, eh?
nice up, thx :)

jayjfadd said...

thank you

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Anonymous said...

thanx

AviAK-47 said...

Interesting music. It seems, the album includes several sentiments. Thank you so much for what you're doing! You introduced me to a lot of new interesting music!

Julia