Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Friday, October 17, 2008

LAME 3.98.2 (MP3 Encoder)

Just a quick note to let folks out there know that an update has been released for the LAME MP3 encoder, version 3.98.2.

Any regular visitors I have know that I prefer the LAME encoder for creating MP3 files. If you're like me and you use Audiograbber (Exact Audio Copy is a good alternative, but is less intuitive), then the LAME encoder is absolutely essential if you want the highest quality. You can check out my posting Tutorial: Create MP3s Using Audiograbber with the LAME Encoder for more info on ripping CDs to MP3.

This is basically a minor bugfix update, but for those curious, here's the changelog:

o Fix for Bugtracker item [ 2031704 ] --id3v1-only didnt work in 3.98-final
o Fix for Bugtracker item [ 2022035 ] encoder_padding value and resampling
o Fix for Bugtracker item [ 2029282 ] Frequency filtering API broken in 3.98
o Fix for Bugtracker item [ 2039648 ] potential memory leak in parse_args() function in parse.c
o Fix for some tagging issues:
+ Made search for ID3v1 genres more sloppy, abbrevations may match more often as some simple typos. Examples:
# --tg "Alt. Rock" matches genre "Alternate Rock"
# --tg "acapela" matches genre "A Cappella"
+ New switch --pad-id3v2-size "n": adds ID3v2 tag with n padding bytes.

As usual, the best place to grab the latest LAME compile is from RareWares. You can get the 3.98.2 build (compiled with Intel Compiler 10.1) by clicking here.

8 comments:

kaspian said...

Just a word for Mac/OSX users:

MAX, a freebie audio utility from (I think) sbooth.com includes the LAME encoder as well as a suite of other open-source tools. The user interface isn't Max's strongest point. But the default MP3 setting appears to be -V2 --vbr-new, which is probably the best all-round setting for this encoder. So you just select MP3 as the format setting, and you're set.

Steve Engler said...

I have been using this software fine for at least a year, but now when it comes time for lame to open up and do it's job, it opens for a split second and does nothing anymore. Any ideas what is wrong?

Kevin Sartori said...

That's a weird one, Steve. I have no idea what's going on. One thing I've noticed is that if there's a really long path to the rip folder, Audiograbber will goof up and encode everything at 128kbps! Could be a really long path problem. Try putting the rip folder right at the root:

c:/Album/

And then moving the files when done. Let me know if that helps!

Steve Engler said...

Bummer, that didn't help. Audiograbber seems to be fooled into thinking LAME worked so I end up with no wave file or mp3 anywhere. I doubt it is an Audiograbber problem since everytime I select Lame.exe it opens only for a split second.

Kevin Sartori said...

Well, Lame.exe is a command-line executable, so if you launch it by itself, you'll see a command window open and close really quick. I'm not sure what else to advise. Did you try re-installing Audiograbber? Did you double-check all the settings? If all else fails, you could try installing Exact Audio Copy instead. Much less intuitive, but a good alternative...

Steve Engler said...

Well I tried everything you suggested and more with no luck at all. I found that if I go into mp3 settings on Audiograbber and select internal encoder and LameEnc DLL Version 1.32 I finally get mp3s again. So my new question is will this be as good of quality as the Lames I used to make?

Kevin Sartori said...

Hey, Steve. Yeah, you should be good. Just make sure that it says:

LameEnc DLL Version 1.32, (24/09/2008) Engine 3.98

That's the most recent version. If, not extract lame_enc.dll from the archive above and put it in the Audiograbber folder. To get the same results as using --preset fast extreme set the following under Internal Encoder options:

Select Variable Bitrate
Method: Default
Slide that slider all the way to the right (Highest Quality) which selects the -V 0 switch, which is identical to --preset fast extreme
For Quality, select Joint Stereo and High

I should of thought of you trying the internal encoder versus external! Good idea! I wish I could figure out why the external encoder isn't working for you, though...

Steve Engler said...

Well thanks for all the help, I finally got something ripped with the internal encoder.