Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Thursday, July 03, 2008

Viper Mad Blues: 25 Songs of Dope and Depravity (1924-1943)

My November '07 posting of Reefer Songs was quite popular, so I figured I really should follow it up with something similar. Like 1989's Reefer Songs, 1991's Viper Mad Blues was also compiled and released by Jass Records and then later reissued by Mojo Records. The material here is quite similar, as the time period is roughly the same. In fact, two of the tracks (Lil Green's "Knockin' Myself Out" and Fats Waller's "The Reefer Man") appear on both of these compilations. In comparing the two, Reefer Songs contains mostly blues material, while Viper Mad Blues relies a bit more on the traditional jazz of the era. 'Course, take a look at those song titles! "Traditional" this ain't! Either way, like the gateway compilation that preceded it, this disc invariably finds its way to the harder stuff.

Hah!

Check out Cab Calloway and His Cotton Club Orchestra performing "Kickin' the Gong Around" in this clip from 1932's The Big Broadcast:



Check out this vintage soundie of The Cats and the Fiddle's "Killin' Jive":



Check out these three fan-made clips that feature the music of Stuff Smith and His Onyx Club Boys' "You'se a Viper," Gene Krupa and His Orchestra's "I'm Feelin' High and Happy" and Dick Justice's "Cocaine":







Big thanks go out to my buddy Bill the Splut for once again supplying me with the original CD to rip. The cover scan is from the original Jass Records CD. The liner notes included recording dates for all of the tracks except Hazel Meyers' "Pipe Dream Blues" and Dick Justice's "Cocaine," which I found after digging a little with Google.

Viper Mad Blues: 25 Songs of Dope and Depravity (1924-1943)
1. Cab Calloway and His Cotton Club Orchestra - Kickin' the Gong Around [1933] (3:24)
2. Victoria Spivey / Lonnie Johnson - Dope Head Blues [1927] (3:13)
3. The Memphis Jug Band - Cocaine Habit Blues [1930] (2:47)
4. Hazel Meyers - Pipe Dream Blues [1924] (3:09)
5. Larry Adler - Smoking Reefers [1938] (3:05)
6. Leadbelly - Take a Whiff on Me [1934] (2:57)
7. The Cats and the Fiddle - Killin' Jive [1939] (2:50)
8. Stuff Smith and His Onyx Club Boys - You'se a Viper [1936] (3:13)
9. Cleo Brown - The Stuff Is Here and It's Mellow [1935] (2:42)
10. Baron Lee and the Blue Rhythm Band - Reefer Man [1932] (2:50)
11. Frankie Newton and His Uptown Serenaders - The Onyx Hop [1937] (2:45)
12. Lil Green - Knockin' Myself Out [1941] (3:00)
13. Champion Jack Dupree - Junker's Blues [1940] (2:40)
14. Curtis Jones - Reefer Hound Blues [1938] (2:43)
15. Fats Waller - The Reefer Song [1943] (2:51)
16. Gene Krupa and His Orchestra - I'm Feelin' High and Happy [1938] (2:41)
17. Ella Fitzgerald / Chick Webb and His Orchestra - When I Get Low, I Get High [1936] (2:29)
18. Cootie Williams and His Rug Cutters - Ol' Man River (Smoke a Little Tea) [1938] (2:47)
19. Richard M. Jones and His Jazz Wizards - Blue Reefer Blues [1935] (2:57)
20. Dick Justice - Cocaine [1929] (3:05)
21. Jazz Gillum and His Jazz Boys - Reefer Head Woman [1938] (3:02)
22. Frankie "Half Pint" Jaxon - Willie the Weeper [1927] (2:21)
23. Luke Jordan - Cocaine Blues [1927] (3:14)
24. Freddy Taylor and His Swing Men from Harlem - Blue Drag [1935] (2:59)
25. Willie Bryant and His Orchestra - A Viper's Moan [1935] (3:22)

109MB ZIP archive
MP3: Variable bitrate (208.7kbps average)
Audiograbber 1.83.1 w/LAME 3.97 (--preset fast extreme)

DOWNLOAD

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

drfeelgoed said...

Fun collection, thanks!
Great blog by the way, my compliments!

kL3 said...

Awesome! Thank you.

Lore said...

thanks a lot!! :)
I found your blog looking for this great stuff.
You have a great blog!
Greetings from the butt of the world.

Raphael said...

Thank you so much... Now you have a Brazillian fan!

I'm the editor of MAD Magazine Brazil and I love this kind of music!

Best!

Dan said...

Holy Crap, this is wonderful. Thank you for putting this together!

aroonie said...

Many thanks for Viper Mad Blues (and the cover!)

Nice blog.

ekt said...

Looks like a very cool collection. However upon entering the password I get a message saying the file is corrupt. I hope it is on my end as I would love to hear some of these tunes. Any suggestions?

Ed T. said...

Here is the message I get when I try to expand - - - "The structure of the archive is damaged (Error #17540)"
Any suggestions or help would be welcome

Kevin Sartori said...

Ed T., that's a StuffIt error. Check out the Please Read This First section at the top of the page. Basically, you need to use UnRarX to extract password-protected RAR archives on a Mac. It's a freeware program. For some reason, StuffIt has problems with password-protected archives.

ed T. said...

Kevin, thanks a million . . . the perfect solution

Nick said...

Great Stuff. Thanks!

meltedrubbersoul said...

Love it....so sorry I used to write off anything before 1960 as old, dried up shit. Fuck that, this stuff is awesome.

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Cherry Florentia Hadinata said...

Your previous comment stated that this has been uploaded to MediaFire, but I was directed to its Rapidgator link. Don't know why, but Rapidgator really sucks; the captcha can't load. Help!

Thanks. *smiley

Kevin Sartori said...

Sorry, Cherry, but I had to start uploading to RapidGator because Mediafire started removing all my shares. If I knew of a better free filesharing service, I'd use it!

All I can recommend is for you to keep trying!

Anonymous said...

looks like I'm late to the party but just wanted to say thank you very much for the music. Really appreciate the extra effort on the information fields for iTunes. I'm getting a "file not found" message for this album, "Jazz Club Vocal" and "Rock n Roll Guitar Classics." Have they been removed due to licensing/copyright or is it a bandwidth issue? - Sam

Kevin Sartori said...

Thanks for the heads up, Anonymous! All three have been re-uploaded to Rapidgator and are available now!

Kevin Sartori said...

Rapidgator has become unreliable, so I've uploaded the share to Game Front and it's available now!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin, i´ve just commented on one Esquivel´s post. I´m in Brazil, having troubles with this server ("file not found", for every file uploaded on it). It would be great if yo could sometime upload this album also in another one!!
Thanks very muchs for the work you´re doing!

Kevin Sartori said...

The share has been moved to Uploaded.net and is available now!