Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Tom Waits Tribute Album Double Shot!: Step Right Up: The Songs of Tom Waits (1995) & New Coat of Paint: Songs of Tom Waits (2000)

Update 12/22/2012: I've removed the share for New Coat of Paint because this album has been released digitally by Manifesto Records and is available now from Amazon.com, Google Play and iTunes. Show your support by buying it today!

Scarlett Johansson recently released her first solo album, a collection of Tom Waits covers entitled Anywhere I Lay My Head. Like any self-respecting Tom Waits fan, I was eager to check it out. I can't say I love the album, but I won't say any more as my mother always taught me that if I didn't have anything nice to say, then I shouldn't say anything at all.

One good thing that did come out of it was that I remembered the two Tom Waits tribute albums featured here! In 1995, Manifesto Records released Step Right Up: The Songs of Tom Waits. The concept was to have a bunch of alt-rockers show their appreciation for Tom Waits by applying their touch to his crumpled brand of American music. What results is an enjoyable collection of inspired covers. Most of the tracks are exclusive to this compilation, except for two licensed tracks: Tim Buckley's 1973 take on "Martha" and 10,000 Maniacs' version of "I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love with You" from 1992.

When something works once, why not do it again? The folks at Manifesto Records must have felt this way, because they released another Tom Waits tribute in 2000 called New Coat of Paint: Songs of Tom Waits. New Coat of Paint has even more indie cred than the last tribute and it's somewhat darker sound leads to a similarly inspired, but different, experience.

Fans of this blog that appreciate The Geraldine Fibbers as much as I do will love singer Carla Bozulich's "On the Nickel" and guitarist Nels Cline's "Heartattack and Vine" with Lydia Lunch. Members of another PLM favorite, Congo Norvell, make appearances here as well: Wonderfully throaty vocalist Sally Norvell contributes "Please Call Me, Baby" and Kid Congo Powers is in Knoxville Girls for "Virginia Ave." Former Stray Cat Lee Rocker provides "New Coat of Paint." Once again, nearly all of the tracks here are exclusives, save Screamin' Jay Hawkins' "Whistlin' Past the Graveyard" from 1994.

Check out a couple of fan made clips for Pale Saints' "Jersey Girl" and 10,000 Maniacs' "I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love with You":





It made the most sense to me to present these two similar tribute albums together, but they can each be downloaded separately.

Step Right Up: The Songs of Tom Waits (1995)
1. Drugstore - Old Shoes (6:29)
2. Tindersticks - Mockin' Bird (4:26)
3. Pete Shelley - Better Off Without a Wife (3:33)
4. The Wedding Present - Red Shoes by the Drugstore (2:30)
5. Violent Femmes - Step Right Up (6:30)
6. Alex Chilton - Downtown (4:54)
7. Archers of Loaf - Big Joe and Phantom 309 (4:13)
8. These Immortal Souls - You Can't Unring a Bell (5:54)
9. Jeffrey Lee Pierce - Pasties and a G-String (4:37)
10. Magnapop - Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis (4:26)
11. Dave Alvin - Ol' 55 (3:36)
12. Pale Saints - Jersey Girl (7:26)
13. Tim Buckley - Martha (3:16)
14. Frente! - Ruby's Arms (4:24)
15. 10,000 Maniacs - I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love with You (3:37)

126MB ZIP archive
MP3: Variable bitrate (253kbps average)
Exact Audio Copy 1.0b3 (Secure mode) w/LAME 3.99.5 (-V0)

DOWNLOAD


New Coat of Paint: Songs of Tom Waits (2000)
1. Screamin' Jay Hawkins - Whistlin' Past the Graveyard (3:32)
2. Andre Williams - Pasties and a G-String (2:19)
3. Lydia Lunch / Nels Cline - Heartattack and Vine (5:03)
4. Knoxville Girls - Virginia Avenue (3:20)
5. Dexter Romweber's Infernal Racket - Romeo Is Bleeding (3:30)
6. Lee Rocker - New Coat of Paint (3:40)
7. Botanica - Broken Bicycles (3:45)
8. Preacher Boy - Old Boyfriends (4:42)
9. Sally Norvell - Please Call Me, Baby (5:06)
10. Carla Bozulich - On the Nickel (5:42)
11. Eleni Mandell - Muriel (3:55)
12. The Blacks - Poncho's Lament (4:27)
13. Neko Case - Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis (3:38)
14. Floyd Dixon - Blue Skies (3:06)

19 comments:

gahndalph said...

One of my favorite Tom Waits covers is "Downtown Train" by Everything But The Girl, from their "Acoustic" album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EypUPD7fLBU

Mr. Vertigo said...

hmhmm, interesting. thanks, i try it :)

Anonymous said...

I've been looking all over for these! Thanks so much

Anonymous said...

Awesome Kevin! Glad I finally gave these a listen...

Props!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this great share .

Regards , Martin

Sven said...

Good Job! :)

drfeelgoed said...

Thank you, I had Step Right Up already, bought it many years ago, neat collection. Looking forward to New Coat!

roar76 said...

re up link please

Kevin Sartori said...

I just double-checked and this one is still available. As always, if Link-Protector is causing you problems, email me and I'll send you the direct download link.

nox said...

These are both awesome records--thanks for posting them. I especially
love the Knoxville Girls version of "Virginia Avenue." I've been looking all over for their first record--do you have it, or anything by them? I'd love to hear more by this obscure (but, I think, worthy) band.

Jonathan said...

Frente was a band that I'm ashamed to admit I like a couple of songs by. But their cover of Ruby's Arms - man, I've been hunting that down for years. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

These 2 cd's are a "must have" for any true TW fan, I recommend you listen to Southside Johnny and la Bamba's Big Band's "Grapefriut Moon", it is extraordinaire!!

Anonymous said...

Superb! Thank you for these two tributes to Tom Waits' genius!
The quality of uploads is exceptional!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Kevin Sartori said...

For improved sound quality, I re-ripped the CD with the latest version of the LAME MP3 encoder and uploaded the share to Rapidgator. Enjoy!

PR Evans said...

Unfortunately, this download link at RG seems broken. Files won't download at all.

Kevin Sartori said...

It looks like Rapidgator is slowly giving up the ghost. After some quick research this morning, it looks like Game Front might be a good substitute.

Share has been uploaded to Game Front and is available now!

johnfilmsia said...

It appears that the GameFront link is down

Kevin Sartori said...

Thanks for the heads up, JohnFilmsia! The share has been moved to Uploaded.net and is available now!