Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Monday, November 12, 2007

REDO: Reefer Songs (1927-1947)

UPDATE: My buddy Bill the Splut noticed this posting and supplied me with the original CD to rip. There is a noticeable sound quality improvement over the 128kbps version I previously posted.

Here's a wild collection of risqué jazz and blues tunes. While all drug related in one way or another, most of these songs center around the usage of that great menace, Marijuana! Incredibly enough, songs with this subject matter actually enjoyed a certain level of popularity at the time. Until the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937, that is. That piece of legislation led to the eventual criminalization of cannabis. Because of federal pressure, many of the artists that continued to sing about its virtues suffered industry blacklisting.

The tracks were mastered a bit low on this compilation, so I used WaveGain to group normalize the WAV files by +2.3dB before converting to MP3. I originally discovered this album on Usenet six years ago. That version included a bonus 24th track, Cab Calloway and His Cotton Club Orchestra's "Reefer Song." I like that track and it's a good one to close out the comp with, so I included a 256kbps version I found on SoulSeek. This is a rip of the 1996 Mojo Records release, but the cover is from the better-looking original 1989 Jass Records release. I made some minor song title and artist corrections and researched the tracks online to find the original year of release.

I found some nice clips online. These first two are basically photo montages set to music. First up is Trixie Smith's "Jack, I'm Mellow":



Chick Webb and His Orchestra with Ella Fitzgerald "Wacky Dust":



Public domain footage is used to nice effect here with Sidney Bechet & Noble Sissle's Swingsters' "Viper Mad ":



Any finally, two vintage soundies from Cab Calloway and His Cotton Club Orchestra, "Minnie the Moocher" and "Reefer Man":





Makes you wonder, though. Could your Great-Grandma or Great-Grandpa have been a "viper"?

Reefer Songs (1927-1947)
1. Don Redman and His Orchestra - Reefer Man [1940] (3:32)
2. Cab Calloway and His Cotton Club Orchestra - The Man from Harlem [1932] (3:07)
3. Stuff Smith and His Onyx Club - Here Comes the Man with the Jive [1936] (3:00)
4. Bob Howard and His Boys - If You're a Viper [1938] (2:24)
5. Benny Goodman and His Orchestra / Jack Teagarden - Texas Tea Party [1938] (3:21)
6. Buster Bailey's Rhythm Busters - Light Up [1938] (2:44)
7. Trixie Smith - Jack, I'm Mellow [1938] (2:44)
8. Barney Bigard Sextet - Sweet Marijuana Brown [1945] (2:57)
9. Sidney Bechet / Noble Sissle's Swingsters - Viper Mad [1938] (3:01)
10. The Harlem Hamfats - The Weed Smoker's Dream [1936] (3:18)
11. Cee Pee Johnson - The "G" Man Got the "T" Man [1945] (3:06)
12. Andy Kirk and His Twelve Clouds of Joy - All the Jive Is Gone [1936] (2:36)
13. Georgia White - The Stuff Is Here [1937] (2:53)
14. Chick Webb and His Orchestra / Ella Fitzgerald - Wackey Dust [1938] (3:02)
15. Harry "The Hipster" Gibson - Who Put the Benzedrine in Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine? [1944] (3:03)
16. Clarence Williams and His Washboard Band - Jerry the Junker [1934] (3:06)
17. Fats Waller - Reefer Song [1943] (2:50)
18. Julia Lee and Her Boy Friends - Lotus Blossom (Sweet Marijuana) [1947] (3:16)
19. Ernest Rodgers - Willie the Chimney Sweeper [1927] (2:50)
20. Bea Foote - Weed [1938] (2:58)
21. Buck Washington - Save the Roach for Me [1944] (1:34)
22. Lil Green - Knockin' Myself Out [1941] (2:59)
23. Cab Calloway and His Cotton Club Orchestra - Minnie the Moocher [1931] (3:32)
24. Cab Calloway and His Cotton Club Orchestra - Reefer Man [1932] (2:57)

99.41MB ZIP archive
MP3: 1x Constant bitrate (256kbps)
23x Variable bitrate (194kbps average)
Audiograbber 1.83.1 w/LAME 3.97 (--preset fast extreme)

DOWNLOAD

42 comments:

sweetlovecina said...

Hi there,
I have trouble downloading with MegaUpload. They always say the same thing " All download slots assigned to your country are currently in use. Please try again in a few hours or install the Megaupload Toolbar for immediate access - with the toolbar installed, there are no more slot limitations for you! "

Should I install their toolbar or are there some other ways to download your music?
Thanks a lot
Thảo

mark said...

p-l-m.blogspot.com does not seem to un-rar this archive. The .rar file seems fine (correct size, no errors). advice?

Kevin Sartori said...

I just double-checked the .rar file and it extracts fine with that password. Maybe the download was corrupted somehow? Maybe you accidentally typed the password in wrong? This redo version has been downloaded 117 times already.

Kevin Sartori said...

Sorry about the problems your having with Megaupload, sweetlovecina. They throttle downloads to some countries. I would try the download again at different times. I wouldn't download the toolbar, as I've heard it's spyware. Good luck and I hope you get it!

Pablo said...

Hello Kevin,
First, your blog is pretty damn good! I'm from Argentina and here I have the same problem of sweetlovecina. In my experience if you want to share, it's better to upload on zshare, mediafire, box.net, then people have no problems to download the archives. Thank you very much for post some awesome records.
Chau, Nos Vemos!

Kevin Sartori said...

I've tried some of the other services, but the problem is always the same. The shares don't get stored for very long or The Deleters file a complaint and the share(s) are taken down. Plus, 100MB caps are annoying. It can be very frustrating to upload something and in a day or two it's gone. One time I had 19 share go down overnight! It took days to re-upload them and then a week later I was hit on the exact same shares!

So although some people have problems, I've found that Megaupload w/Link-Protector works best. There are uploads from October 2006 that are still up and available from Megaupload. It's a good service and Link-Protector makes The Deleters work a bit harder to have shares taken down. As always, if something I've uploaded is still available for purchase all someone has to do is email me and I'll take it down. Hasn't happened yet because I do my due diligence to make sure something isn't still in print before I upload it.

Thanks for the comments! If Link-Protector gives you any problems, email me and I'll send you the direct Megaupload link.

napsmear said...

Sweeet

Bock said...

Thanks a million!

Nowadays they call this stoner rock ;)

Wayward Beatnik said...

I dunno... I'm having the same problems with the password; it says that the CRC failed. Do you have to encrypt it? I'd really love to hear this stuff...

Thanks!

Kevin Sartori said...

If you get a CRC failed error, it usually means you put the password in wrong. Please try again. Typically when this happens, people are accidentally throwing in an extra space at the end when they copy and paste the password. Be careful to only include the actual password:

p-l-m.blogspot.com

Yeah, I password protect the RAR archive because there are guys out there with "music blogs" that don't up anything of their own, they just steal links from other blogs. This way, if someone likes something that I've uploaded, the password tells them where it originally came from.

Wayward Beatnik said...

No. I've tried both cut & paste, typing it in myself, nothing works... Shame, too... I really wanted to hear this!

Thanks

Kevin Sartori said...

Wayward Beatnik, I'm sorry you're having problems. What program are you using to extract the RAR archive? Are you able to extract password protected RAR archives from other blogs?

I want to help.

Wayward Beatnik said...

Thanks for your continued help! I'm using WinRAR, an evaluation copy, which may be the problem... Is there another free program that could do it?

Wayward Beatnik said...

I just sent my next response via the e-mail address above, to avoid wasting blog space on this

Thanks!

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

Anonymous said...

Yes! Thanks very much for this, I can tell I'm gonna like it. ^^
-Sarah

Anonymous said...

All these problems.. Download First.. Smoke Second...This should help !!

QEF said...

many thanks - had these tracks years ago and lost them when my hard drive died on me.

lrowan said...

Thank you very much for Reefer, Copulatin' and Viper Mad. I own the original vynils but not the time necessary to rip it (let apart the quality)

Beazley said...

Sir Kevin,

I would like to say THANK YOU sharing this really nice collection of 30's music. I pretty much appreciate your work, has done in this blog. With your permission (and written thanks-rescept) I just multiplied your music at my blogg page..... www.beazley.multiply.com Feel free to visit if you have an account. Thanks again.

LuvinThatJive said...

Great job compiling these, have been looking for decent quality version of almost every songs on ur compilation!

Very groovy indeed

the family cat said...

Most of these recordings are on a CD called THE ULTIMATE 30s & 40s REEFER SONGS issued by a Liverpool indie called VIPER RECORDS who send mail order

Kevin Sartori said...

the family cat, I appreciate the comment.

However, these tracks are all in the public domain. Jass Records compiled and released Reefer Songs in 1989, Viper Mad Blues in 1991. In looking over the track listing, it looks like all "indie" label Viper Records did in 2004 when they put together The Ultimate 30's & 40's Reefer Songs was nix 13 tracks from Reefer Songs, 4 from Viper Mad Blues and add 3 others (Lil Johnson's "Mellow Stuff," Jazz Gillum & His Jazz Boys' "Reefer Head Woman" and Yack Taylor's "Knockin' Myself Out").

As these tracks are not licensed, you're not really supporting anything by buying Viper Records rehash. I'd recommend downloading this and Viper Mad Blues and get yourself a more comprehensive 47 song collection for free instead of paying for 20...

Tauruskrato said...

Your blog is best!!! Thanks for the great music!! Greetings from Brazil!

Bill said...

Appreciated. First time I heard this album - at a mates two days ago. He pulled out the vinyl.. wow. And here I am listening to it after 10m search to your site & a swift d/l. Hats off squire! Seamless. All the best.

Anonymous said...

Great blog dude. Great blog indeed :)

boywriter said...

Love, Love LOVE your blog! Kevin, it's absolute GENIUS!! Thanks to you, some friends and I are REALLY ringing in the year on a high note!! Keep up the INCREDIBLE work!!

boywriter said...

And the links: seamless! Thanks again!!

Rolf said...

Thank you kindly.

Thom said...

Many thanks Kevin!

Grizzbar said...

Dude! You rock the free known world with this collection! Now, if I could only get my hands on an mp3 copy on Mother Night's song, "Send Your Roaches To Julie Nixon"! Peace - Out! GRIZZ

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Anonymous said...

File is no longer on MediaFire

Kevin Sartori said...

Thanks for the heads up, Anonymous! The share has been re-uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin

Wow! What a wonderful collection of amazing songs.

Tried to download from Mediafire today and I was told

"This file has been identified as a copyright protected work and cannot be distributed using MediaFire."

Any suggestions on how I can obtain "Reefer Songs (1927-1947)" ...?

Phillip from Downunder

Kevin Sartori said...

The share has been re-uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to Rapidgator and is available now!

Kevin Sartori said...

Because Rapidgator has become unreliable, the share has been uploaded to Game Front and is available now!

Holytunes said...

The link was down, can you reuploaded it again?

Thank you so much!

Kevin Sartori said...

The share has been moved to Uploaded.net and is available now!

Justin said...

Thx so much!