Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Tuesday, November 06, 2007

USENET: Mind / Body (1992)

In its earliest days, the Internet consisted of bulletin boards and email. The Internet was text-based back then. Monitoring Usenet newsgroups and participating in bulletin board discussions felt like being part of a community. While there is still some discussion today, Usenet has mostly become a dumping ground for binary files. The rec.music.industrial newsgroup was teeming with engaging dialogue about the many forms of "industrial" music. Almost anything fit in: electronic, ambient, prog/krautrock, harsher industrial music, gothic rock and various forms of alternative dance music. It was exciting to be online in the early to mid-1990s; I was exposed to so much new and old music. I think in many ways, the various full album music blogs provide a similar function today.

Nowhere is this early spirit of community more evident than in the DIY indie release USENET: Mind /Body. Ben Cox had the idea to compile a collection of music created by members of the RMI (rec.music.industrial) community. This eventually became the two-disc compilation released as USENET: Mind / Body. Released in 1992 under the imprint Atomic Novelties, almost all of the tracks are copyright 1991. The concept here is that disc one (tracks 1-14) contains music that feeds the mind, with disc two (tracks 15-31) providing music to fuel the body. Consequently, the first half of this compilation tends toward ambient music, with cut-up dialogue and samples. Early "isolationism," I suppose. The second half is more "industrial dance" sounding. More beat-oriented and generally more aggressive, with distorted vocals. There's a lot of music here covering a wide range of electronica from a very specific time period by a collection of mostly obscure artists. How about that for a run-on sentence!

If you're interested in reading some of the posts from way back when, check out the Google Groups rec.music.industrial archive. If I remember correctly, this set was limited to 1000 numbered copies. For what it's worth, mine is #0674.

USENET: Mind / Body (1992)
1. Grae.Com - New Age Love Song (4:07)
2. Urban Ambience - Drug Dilemma (4:12)
3. Killed by a Blöw in the Heäd - Mysteries of Pakistan (For Phil) (5:36)
4. D.A.C. Crowell - The Fall of Shartoa (9:58)
5. Macronympha - Masturbation Mantra (8:11)
6. Trance - Vicious Circle (4:51)
7. Crazy Ivan - My Ass Is Ivory (2:31)
8. John Grigsby - Sequence (3:53)
9. John Eichenseer - Down at the Blue Café (11:13)
10. Total Harmonic Distortion - The Messiah (4:31)
11. The Unit Circle - Constant Bit Select of a Vector Net (4:59)
12. Thad Donovan - Dogma (4:29)
13. Corpses Last Contact Half-Served - The Whales and Dolphins (5:18)
14. Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers - The Star-Spangled Banner (2:52)
15. Insult - Gee (2:17)
16. Speakeasy - One of Woody's Women (4:29)
17. Dresden - Detraction (4:32)
18. Scott A. Lukas - Revolution in My Mind (10:00)
19. Soma Holiday - Burning Chrome (2:34)
20. Surgery Tomorrow - Shit All over You (6:20)
21. Users of the Wicked Gravity - You Shall All Decay (Heroin in a Dress) (4:34)
22. Slur - Singular (4:02)
23. Snog - Born to Be Mild (3:21)
24. Smothered Hope - Bloodletting (4:25)
25. Mary on Trial - Success (3:58)
26. BlackMan - Solace (4:08)
27. Six Sigma - Killer Bees (3:27)
28. Naram Sin - Nighthammer (6:02)
29. Who Mournes - Holiday (3:55)
30. Acme Disco Machines - Piss Christ (3:54)
31. The Evolution Control Committee - The Industrial Polka (3:04)

283MB ZIP archive
MP3: Variable bitrate (262kbps average)
Exact Audio Copy 1.0b3 (Secure mode) w/LAME 3.99.5 (-V0)

DOWNLOAD

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post Kevin! I have to agree too, the early 90's was a great time online for music, etc. Blogs today, like yours, definitely have that same feel. Noone can ever listen to all the music there is, but with blogs like yours, I'm hearing much more of it. :)

Anonymous said...

There were 2 more volumes done after this. I was on those. Any chance you might post those? Perhaps I could provide them to you. There was a lot of interesting music there and it's nice to see it around again.

Anonymous said...

Aww, the links is not available anymore :(

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

Anonymous said...

Naram Sin has some old videos online:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/VideoGriff/videos/2/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCxphruQYL8

Kevin Sartori said...

Nice! Thanks for the links!

walter23 said...

I'd love to find Vol 2. I have rmi mind/body vol 3 (though I've lost the CD "body", so finding that would also be nice).

Amanda said...

I can't believe you made this post! I heard this compilation in its entirety on a college radio station. I remember the whole rec.music.industrial story, but couldn't remember the details. I ran and grabbed a cassette tape, and got most of the set taped, but all the talk was gone. I couldn't remember the name of the usenet, or of the compilation. I listened to the tape until it fell apart. ZIA's Pagan Goddess is one of the best songs EVER. Since then, and it's been a very, very long time, I've been regularly searching the internet for copies. The only time I found any thing was from a spacemusic link. I didn't have much money at the time, and while I was saving up enough to order the CD set, the link broke. My search started again. Now, it's what, 15 years later, and the internet is a bigger place. I hoped if I just kept looking, I would eventually find it. I'd look once every couple of years. Here you are. Thank you. My search has ended. This is such a great moment for me, I'd like to link you to my site. Again, thank you. You've made history in my life!

amanda said...

Adding to my previous comment; there are a lot of folks here with volume 3. I'd really really really like to have a copy of volume 3, again, I just love "Pagan Goddess". Please post or email me at my website. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Amanda, I have Vol3 (and Vol2), so I am able to email you Zia's "Pagan Goddess" if you are still looking...

test said...

If anyone has volume 2 or 3 I'd really, really like to get a copy. I had both of them at one point but lost them (I think I still have "mind" from volume 3 but body is missing). email me at arsenate@gmail.com but use a prominent title as this is my spam account.

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to Rapidgator and is available now!

Don (The) said...

Unfortunately, File Not Found on Rapidgator. But what a fantastic blog. I've listened to so much stuff that I had never heard of before. Thanks a lot.

Kevin Sartori said...

Shares have been re-uploaded to Rapidgator and are available now!

Federico Requena said...

Please re-up!
Thank you for all the stuff over here.

Kevin Sartori said...

For improved sound quality, I re-ripped the CD with the latest version of the LAME MP3 encoder and uploaded the share to Rapidgator. Go get it!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been re-uploaded to Rapidgator and is available now!

Kevin Sartori said...

Rapidgator has become unreliable, so I've uploaded the share to Game Front and it's available now!

Anonymous said...

And it's down again. Sad and lame!

Kevin Sartori said...

I agree! Totally lame. Game Front's policy is that they delete files that haven't been downloaded for 60 days. Unfortunately, this upload isn't very popular, so I'm sure I'll be re-uploading it again.

Thanks for the heads up! It's available again now!

Peter Drake said...

Down again, boo.

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been re-uploaded to Game Front and is available now!

Guppy said...

Down again :|

Kevin Sartori said...

The share has been moved to Uploaded.net and is available now!