Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Thursday, November 15, 2007

Esquivel - See It in Sound (1960)

It seems that after producing his fifth American album, Strings Aflame, Esquivel set out to create a unique musical journey. Recorded in 1960, See It in Sound is fascinating because it integrates off-kilter music with real-world ambient sounds. It really expands the concept of what an "album" could be at the time. In this way, it's very modern; it's reminiscent of current soundtrack albums that mix dialogue and sound effects into the music. In fact, in many ways it's like a soundtrack to an imaginary movie.

Esquivel's take on "Brazil," in particular, is an amazing experiment. Calling the album Esquivel's Pet Sounds, Bill Barol's description of this wild track from his excellent 2002 retrospective article in Slate is worth quoting directly: "...the band leader paints a meticulous sound picture of a night on the town gone wrong. An unidentified clubgoer makes his way down rainy streets, the sound of an orchestra muffled but growing stronger, until he opens a door and the music bursts gloriously into the foreground. He eventually returns to the street, the music continuing as background until he arrives at another club; he leaves there, hails a taxi, and makes his way to a third club, the arrangement more incendiary now as a very convincing brawl breaks out to the sounds of breaking glass and running footsteps—a six-minute playlet in music and sound effects, richly detailed and powerfully weird."

This is arguably Esquivel at his most ambitious and certainly his strangest. The brass at RCA felt the same way and refused to release it at the time! This remained for years a legendary "lost" album until it was rescued from the vaults and finally released in 1999, 39 years after it was recorded. I found a rip of this disc on Soulseek, encoded at variable bit rate with LAME 3.93.

Esquivel - See It in Sound (1960)
1. The Peanut Vendor (El Manisero) (3:26)
2. Amazon Paddle Boat (3:58)
3. Honky Tonky Cha Cha (3:03)
4. Cumana (2:47)
5. Brazil (6:03)
6. Chubasco (3:54)
7. Walk to the Bull Ring (2:17)
8. Aurora (2:11)
9. Similau (3:53)
10. Inca's Dream (2:34)
11. Latingo (4:16)

56.8MB ZIP archive
MP3: Variable bitrate (205.9kbps average) w/LAME 3.93

DOWNLOAD

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very rare and hard to get gem of exotic music. Thank you very much!

Lucky said...

Kevin - you are my man when it comes to Esquivel!! Thanks a lot for this - as anon pointed out - this is indeed extremely difficult to find!

jefkal said...

For you who are interested in learning more about the highly dramatic and colorful musical creativity of Juan Garcia Esquivel, look for my profile of the magical Mexican in the Winter '07-'08 issue of California Modern magazine, soon to be available online at eichlernetwork.com.
--- Jeff Kaliss, jefkal@jeffkaliss.com

THXjay said...

Hey Kevin,

You've outdone yourself with this one, I never knew it existed :)

This baby is going in my ever growing Esquivel folder :)

Thanks again

highbrowser said...

absolutely amazing album. somehow i missed the cult of 'esquivel' circa the mid-90s. this is quite the aural experience. bravo.

Artebreve said...

I have all the discs from Esquivel, its a excellent space pop music composer

raymond said...

thanks a lot for this hard to find esquivel album! oh man... it's so good!

Bassooner said...

Can you check the likn? When I get to Megaupload, nothing happens. This looks like a great LP.

Kevin Sartori said...

I just checked it and it's fine. It could be that Link-Protector is causing you problems. Drop me an email and I'll send you the direct Megaupload link.

doug said...

Kevin, thanks for the tip but I think it was the computer set up I was using. I used another computer with different settings, and it worked fine. Thanks also for Esquivel, any more you can find will be appreciated. I even have trouble finding him in thrift shops. Bassooner (Doug).

Ellaguru said...

hi
thanx for esquivel,geraldine fibbers,shellac and steve fisk!
ciao

Ellaguru said...

problems with linkprotector:is it normal?

Kevin Sartori said...

Yeah, it looks like there is a problem right now. This is the first major outage I've seen. I just checked the Megaupload link the file is still available. I'm going to let it go right now and hopefully things will be back to normal soon. It could be that the folks at Link-Protector are unaware of the problem, but won't be back to fix it until after the American holiday. Not sure...

For those of you that can't wait, email me and I'll send you the direct Megaupload link.

Eiffel said...

Good blog!

Visit mine for all kinds of music at:

http://www.cetaithier.blogspot.com/

Eiffel

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

Anonymous said...

When I get to Megaupload, nothing happens here, too. This is a great esquivel album and exactly what I have been looking for. I am dropping my email address here. I hope I can get this rare music, too.
joheepark@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for your reply! I got to Megaupload and it worked well. I really appreciate your effort to share such a rare album. This album is going to be my all-time favorite!

- Joy Park, joheepark@hotmail.com

alberto stereo said...

Excelente "sonorama" del maestrísimo ESQUIVEL!!!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Diego Moreno said...

I wanted to download this awesome albums but there is no link. Would you please post the link? c:

Kevin Sartori said...

Diego Moreno, the download link is right there under the track listing (click on the "DOWNLOAD" link). I just checked the link and it's still active.