Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Thursday, October 04, 2007

Esquivel - Strings Aflame (1959)

Update 03/02/2012: I've removed the share because this album has been released digitally by RitmoDisc S.A. and is available from Amazon.com, 7digital and iTunes. Show your support by buying it today!

Esquivel produced his fifth American album while still living in New York City's Upper East Side. He produced this and the earlier Exploring New Sounds in Stereo before relocating to Beverly Hills. It is the first to showcase his orchestral arranging talents. He honed these skills during his years in Mexico producing the weekly radio show "Musica y Fantasia."

There are some nice tracks here, including Cole Porter's classic "I Love Paris" and the Esquivel-penned "Foolin' Around." Also showing up is an excellent version of Greek standard "Misirlou," later made famous by Dick Dale & His Del-Tones. In the original liner notes, Esquivel describes "Fantasy": "The moods of both Brahms' Fifth Hungarian Dance and the song Two Guitars fit each other so naturally that they just seemed right together. It's hard to tell where one theme stops and the others starts."

Released in August of 1959, this album went on the receive three Grammy nominations in the Orchestra, Arrangements and Engineering categories. Strings Aflame was released on CD by Bar/None Records in 1997 as a two-fer with Exploring New Sounds in Stereo.

Esquivel - Strings Aflame (1959)
1. Guadalajara (2:36)
2. Scheherazade (3:52)
3. Parade of the Wooden Soldiers (2:31)
4. Andalusian Sky (2:41)
5. Misirlou (3:09)
6. Sun Valley Ski Run (2:13)
7. Malagueña (3:11)
8. Fantasy (3:09)
9. Foolin' Around (2:45)
10. Gypsy Lament (3:28)
11. I Love Paris (3:08)
12. Turkish March (2:56)

7 comments:

Mr. Lucky said...

Hi, Kevin!

Thanks for linking to my little bloggy, and - especially! - for this really hard to find Esquivel!! I really appreciate your efforts in posting these, as well as your ever-fine write-up to it. :D

Salute!

Anonymous said...

Thanks again. I have been looking forward to this post and it really delivers.

Hardie said...

Sweet posts!

Esquivel albums are really hard to find on the net. I've been looking for over a year!

Thanks a BUNCH!

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

Slayer said...

Thanks for this incredible album, with Latin Esque and Infinity in Sound II is a real State-of-art from the Mexican Master Juan Garcia Esquivel.

Greetings from Quito-Ecuador, SouthAmerica.

Miguel said...

thanks for your Blog.