Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Thursday, October 18, 2007

Damn That Orange Box!

Sorry for the lack of updates here, but you can blame Valve Software's mega value The Orange Box for sucking up all of my free time lately. I sit in front of my TV with my 360 controller in hand, thinking "I really should upload an album and update PLM. Well, maybe after I finish this one part..."

While I've been excited about getting The Orange Box and playing it's various components, my expectations honestly were fairly low for Portal, but it's ended up being the most enjoyable part of the whole deal. It's not very long, but it's unlike anything else I've ever played. It demands a new kind of spatial thinking. The innovative gameplay and pitch black humor combine to make a game that is truly unique.

Best of all, when I finished Portal, I was treated to something unexpected but wonderful: a catchy, funny and even touching little pop song running during the end credits. It's a clever little gem that's bound to become a gamer geek anthem. I can't get it out of my head! While the soundtrack for the Half-Life games are created by Kelly Bailey, the song "Still Alive" is written and performed by Jonathan Coulton. Ellen McLain, the voice of Portal's antagonist GLaDOS, provides vocals that sound a bit like what Daft Punk might if they had a sensitive female lead.

There are already a bunch of clips of "Still Alive" on YouTube, but this one is my favorite. Snpbond created a nice little gameplay video, with excellent sound quality. Check it out:



By the way, I also want to apologize for the crazy look of the page lately. I rely on Comcast's personal web space for hosting and they're undergoing some upgrade that makes the background and pictures occasionally unavailable. Nothing I can do about it except wait for things to settle out. Still, it's annoying and ugly. Wait, let me rephrase that. It's...wait for it...Comcastic!

5 comments:

Theo said...

My friend has the same addiction!

mr wheatley said...

that song makes me cry!

Anonymous said...

Kevin, that is a 'catchy' toon indeed. Alas, it's on my favorites...

Anonymous said...

where is the link for the download

Kevin Sartori said...

Sorry, anon, but there is no download here. The Orange Box soundtrack is available for purchase and includes the excellent "Still Alive". Go buy it, it's worth it!