Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Friday, September 21, 2007

Rock 'n' Roll Guitar Classics (1958-1963)

Wait, I know what you're thinking: "Kevin, are you seriously posting a K-tel compilation on your blog?" Well... yeah! I was turned on to this 1990 comp by my buddy Bill the Splut about 12 years ago. Bill is the blogmaster deluxe for the infamous ThoughtViper.com. It's sorta like, I dunno, Bukowski meets Hello Kitty. Well, not really, but he'll hate that description, so I'll let it stand.

Anyway, for those of you too young to remember, throughout the 70s and 80s, K-tel was the original "as seen on TV" music label and were all over the airwaves hawking themed various artist albums in a fast-talking hard-sell style. Whether you have no idea what I'm talking about or have successfully blocked out the memory, this commercial is a perfect example of the K-tel style. Check out this obnoxious walk down memory lane:



The title here says it all. While some of the tracks have more historical importance than others, every single track is most definitely a bona fide guitar classic. Dick Dale's "Let's Go Trippin'" is considered to be the first surf record. Looking at just the first three tracks, it's impossible to overstate the importance of The Ventures' "Walk--Don't Run," Duane Eddy & His "Twangy" Guitar's "Rebel-'Rouser" and Link Wray & His Ray Men's "Rumble" to the history and evolution of rock and roll. At under 26 minutes, it's a short trip, but it does an excellent job of capturing an important moment in time. Besides that, these songs are just freakin' cool.

But don't just take my word for it, check out some clips I dug up on YouTube. First up, an unfortunately edited and non-synched 1960 appearance by The Ventures with "Walk--Don't Run" on Dick Clark's American Bandstand:



Next, Duane Eddy & His "Twangy" Guitar with "Rebel-'Rouser" from 1958:



Santo & Johnny with "Sleep Walk" from 1959:



And finally, The Chantays with "Pipeline" from a May 18, 1963 appearance on The Lawrence Welk Show:



While ripping, I noticed that the tracks were mastered a bit low, so I used WaveGain to group normalize the WAV files by +2.39dB before converting to MP3. While double-checking the tags, I corrected some minor artist and song title errors and added the year of original release.

Rock 'n' Roll Guitar Classics (1958-1963)
1. The Ventures - Walk--Don't Run [1960] (2:05)
2. Duane Eddy & His "Twangy" Guitar - Rebel-'Rouser [1958] (2:21)
3. Link Wray & His Ray Men - Rumble [1959] (2:24)
4. Lonnie Mack - Memphis [1963] (2:26)
5. The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle [1958] (2:26)
6. Santo & Johnny - Sleep Walk [1959] (2:23)
7. Dick Dale & the Del-Tones - Let's Go Trippin' [1961] (2:34)
8. The Duals - Stick Shift [1961] (2:31)
9. The Chantays - Pipeline [1962] (2:19)
10. The Frantics - Straight Flush [1959] (2:06)
11. Lonnie Mack - Wham! [1963] (2:09)

41.7MB ZIP archive
MP3: Variable bitrate (225.1kbps average)
Audiograbber 1.83.1 w/LAME 3.97 (--preset fast extreme)

DOWNLOAD

24 comments:

Bill the Splut said...

Someday you will grow past your deep and burning envy of the fact that I own a MIB Hello Kitty vibrator, and that you do not.

Charles who?

Kevin Sartori said...

MIB? What is that, "Monkey in box"?

Kevin Sartori said...

Y'know, he's not kidding:

http://www.jlist.com/SEARCH/omo291a/

Although I hope to Jeebus he doesn't actually own that. Wait, scratch that, I'm sure he owns it, I just hope he's never used it...

Ted said...

Neat collection of great guitar stuff.
The Chantays video is quite odd. I don't recall seeing a pop group performing their own song on Welk (well sort've syncing)instead of the Welk band (and its excellent guitarists) covering it. Also, the Chantays were wearing Beatles' style collarless jackets, the year before the Beatles hit the US.

Bill the Splut said...

Using it would spoil its collectiblity! Why would I use a vibrator? I'm Bill the Splut, not Bill O'Reilly!

Anonymous said...

That's funny Kevin. lol

Liquid Dilemma said...

great blogspot!! keep up the good work...

just started on of my own, check:

http://liquiddilemma.blogspot.com/

Low

C-500 said...

Hey Kevin!

It has been a while since I last visited your blog and I saw that you are posting a surf/instro compilation. Now, you're talkin' my language man!
Find more at:
http://boppeslag.blogspot.com/,
http://eektcat.blogspot.com/,
http://rideyourpony-twighlightzone.blogspot.com/
That's three very good blogs.
Your blog was among the first I found and downloaded from...so thanks from me (a little bit late)
Keep up the good work!

Synthetic said...

These are trult great songs offered here no question about it. I want to warn people though that what Ktel almost always does is re-record the songs years later. Sometimes with only a fraction of the original session men. So chances are that almost all of these tracks aren't the original hit recordings.

Kevin Sartori said...

I appreciate the warning about K-tel, Synthetic, but if you download and listen to the tracks, it's pretty apparent that there are no overdubs and that these are the original recordings. I'm not saying that they don't do that, but in this case, it's pretty clear that they haven't. The liner notes list the original recording dates and the songs don't have that telltale sound of modern recording overdubs. Honestly, they sound vintage all the way...

But download and judge for your self! It's a great comp.

Synthetic said...

Well I'm very relieved to hear that, I'll have to download it from you soon. I was given a 6-7 CD set of classic rock n roll from Ktel and on that collection, only about 5% of the songs are original versions, and they were alternate takes from the original at that. It was a major dissapointment to my ears. I'm glad to hear that Ktel didn't do that with this ollection.

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

Mickey P. said...

Thanks for keeping this link alive, I been looking for Sleep Walking for ages. Let's hope this is the right version. Alongside the other classics here, it has to be! ;-)

Christopher said...

Hey Kevin, just wanted to say a big thanks for your posts, it's great that you make the effort to share. Some really interesting stuff in there...
Crispy

OldHippieRick said...

What a Great Share :-) When I 1st saw it was K-tell I was very very worried it be just plain bad,but I read a few comments and went for it,Boy I'm Very Glad I Did way cool..
All the stuff I grew up with and now never really listen too any more Nice Gem of Tunes :-)
Rick Jazz It Up renagademusic@yahoo.com

Nick Andrew said...

Woh! Man It's such a long blog but some how I went through it. I just wanna know that from were you got all these information. I really admire your hard work. Thanks for sharing all these.
Good Day

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to Rapidgator and is available now!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been re-uploaded to Rapidgator and is available now!

Kevin Sartori said...

Rapidgator has become unreliable, so I've uploaded the share to Game Front and it's available now!

Peter Drake said...

Gamefront link appears to be dead

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been re-uploaded to Game Front and is available now!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to Uploaded.net and is available now!