Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Esquivel - Four Corners of the World (1958)

Update 03/02/2012: I've removed the share because this album has been released digitally by RitmoDisc S.A. and is available from Amazon.com, 7digital and iTunes. Show your support by buying it today!

RCA
booked and paid for five hours of studio time for Esquivel to record his American debut Other Worlds, Other Sounds. With the album in the can and ninety minutes of studio time left over, Esquivel quickly assembled a small combo and used the time to record his second LP, Four Corners of the World.

What resulted from this short production schedule is a fairly straightforward album lacking in the "out there" sensibilities of his previous (or future, for that matter) efforts. Still, it's a pleasant enough album to listen to, so it's kind of hard for me to knock or completely write off. I mean, heck, it's like complaining about candy...

Check out this cool clip that cleverly combines Esquivel's take on "Blue Danube" with imagery from 2001: A Space Odyssey:



Four Corners of the World was released on CD by Bar/None Records in 1997 as a two-fer with Other Worlds, Other Sounds.

Esquivel - Four Corners of the World (1958)
1. Dark Eyes (2:43)
2. Blue Danube (2:21)
3. Domino (2:12)
4. Oye Negra (2:00)
5. My Silent Love (2:41)
6. Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 (3:31)
7. Tico Tico (2:12)
8. April in Portugal (2:14)
9. In a Persian Market (2:48)
10. Torna a Sorrento (2:36)
11. El Carro del Sol (2:44)
12. Cielito Lindo (2:41)

18 comments:

mug said...

Hey there. Just found you and I'm a happier guy for it. Wonderful stuff going on here. Thanks!

Tiki said...

Great blog! Thanks for all you do!! (hate the snapshots)

Ted said...

Thanks for the education. I'd heard of, and read about Esquivel, but never seen any of his recordings. It's actually not as strange as I'd been led to expect. It's just from another time. I think it's good.

Kevin Sartori said...

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I'm glad you're enjoying PLM!

Y'know, Tiki, the SnapShots thing was cool at first, but now I find it to be annoying myself. They've also made a SnapShots browser plug-in, so if someone really likes it, they can install it and get that pop-up preview for every page on the intertubes. You've inspired me to take the time out to remove it.

And...done. :)

Anonymous said...

Many thanx to You for publishing this wonderful stuff. Recently, I've tried to purchase this at German Amazon - and failed.

Anyone has Esquivel's "See it in Sound" ? Would very much appreciate.

Yours truly
HPM

Kevin Sartori said...

My plan is to eventually post all of the Esquivel albums, including See It in Sound, so stay tuned!

Lucky said...

Hi, Kevin!

It's been a while since I had contact with you.

I see, you still post those Exotica jewels, like this hard-to-find Esquivel, which I never heard! TREMENDOUS!!

Cheers, Lucky!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for out-of-topic, but I am was very glad to find Geraldine Fibbers here some time ago and wanna ask if you have chance to post the album "What Part of Get Thee Gone Don't You Understand?" which is missing so far... I love this band!

Kevin Sartori said...

No problem, although you could have posted your comment under one of the Geraldine Fibbers posts, as I have blogger set to email me all comments...

I really enjoy What Part of Get Thee Gone Don't You Understand?, but because the CD is still in print, I won't be posting it. I actually came close to posting it because it didn't even occur to me that it wouldn't be out of print, but it turns out that Sympathy for the Record Industry is a small indie label that keeps cools stuff in print!

Kevin Sartori said...

Lucky, thanks for stopping by! I noticed that your cool blog CUT*OUT had a link to PLM, so I returned the favor! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Link is dead...

Kevin Sartori said...

I just tried the link and it's not dead...

Eric said...

The link isn't dead, but the download rar is empty.

I have this at home already. I was just wanting to listen to it at work as it's such a fine recording. Thanks for posting it anyway :)

Kevin Sartori said...

Just to be sure, I downloaded the .rar file, put in the password and, voilĂ , it works fine! All of the files are there and they play just fine.

Eric, what program do you use to extract from .rar archives? Did you definitely put the password in correctly?

Eric said...

I didn't attempt to extract it because my download manager said 0kb. It also downloaded too fast to be anything but 0kb.

My day's almost over anyway. I'll just get my copy from home for listening to tomorrow. Thanks for your help though :)

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

jjtmendez said...

thank u very much

jjazz said...

thanks so much! ;)