Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Saturday, May 05, 2007

Video Is Go!

I've been wanting to add video clips to Psychotic Leisure Music for some time now. As I'm sure most of you are aware, there is a nearly endless variety of clips available online these days. YouTube and Google Video seem to have the largest selection available, with an easy option to embed their clips wherever you like. So I've gone through my old posts and spent a bit of time searching, viewing and searching some more, adding relevant clips here as I found them (twenty-four of them, in fact!).

A bit of technical information for those interested. No matter what the original resolution of a video file is, once uploaded to YouTube or Google Video, it is automatically re-encoded into FLV format with a resolution of 320x240. If you view a video clip directly on YouTube or Google Video's home page, there are controls which allow you to adjust the video size, the smallest and sharpest of which is the native resolution of 320x240. I hate the fact that when you look at embedded YouTube or Google Video clips offsite, they're always "blown up" and fuzzy looking. These embedded video clips don't have any sizing controls, so you can't "fix" it. Looking at the html code that they provide for you to use to embed a video clip, I discovered that, by default, the size of the player control increases the resolution of the clips on YouTube by 33% and on Google Video by 25%. This just takes the same amount of infomation and spreads it over a larger space. I wanted the video clips to be displayed here in their native resolution of 320x240. The player window will take up less space this way and the video clips will look better. I couldn't just change the numbers in the html code to make the player control have a width of 320 pixels and height of 240 pixels, though. The trick here in correcting the size was that I had to compensate for the control bar placed at the bottom of the video player window. After a bit of messing around capturing screens and counting pixel dimensions, I figured out that I needed to pad the height of YouTube clips by 28 pixels (320x268) and Google Video clips by 27 pixels (320x267) to make them display the video clips themselves in their native resolution of 320x240. DailyMotion clips need to be padded by 24 pixels (320x264). The Yahoo! Music player needs to be padded by 30 pixels (320x270).

Whew! Anyhow, enjoy the improved Psychotic Leisure Music! Comments, as always, are encouraged!

6 comments:

Hellbishop said...

Congratulations on the upgrade. Looks awesome! I especially love the action packed full of honor clip from
"Sleepy Eyes Of Death Sword Of Seduction". Very sharp and clear with great audio. The "Night Of The Living Dead" is also excellent with its period piece feel.

Thanks kevin satori for the added visual stimuli li li li li....

Pollos said...

Hello,

I have download las vegas grind but the password not work. I use mac computer, can it to affect?

Pollos said...

Gracias tío ¡y que vivan Las Vegas, woman on pelo, ritmos hotest, friends of the bajuno, exotic melodías y all the ways to the esparramo!!!

Kevin Sartori said...

Er, sure, no problem!

Anonymous said...

Great info Kevin! You seem to entertain my geeky along with my musical side! :)

Bill said...

Have you uploaded any YouTube videos of your own? I think that the dance sequence from Watari the Ninja Boy should be shown to the world. Toei could use it to sue Skittle's "Share the Rainbow" ad campaign for ripping off their idea.