Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Geraldine Fibbers - Lost Somewhere Between the Earth and My Home (1995)

Carla Bozulich formed The Geraldine Fibbers after the demise of alt-dancefloor outfit Ethyl Meatplow. Generally termed an "alt-country" band, this label has always seemed limiting to me, considering the broad range of their sound. Ah, Carla. Can you fall in love with a voice? Is that possible? Carla's voice has a throaty fragility. There's a quality and allure there that's difficult to convey. The music is tight and the songs tell stories: the dream narrative of "Lillybelle," the nostalgic wistfulness of "Marmalade," the junkie redemption of "A Song About Walls." Brilliant. I've listened to this CD countless times over the years. If it's unfamiliar, you really owe it to yourself to check it out; they're possibly the greatest band you've never heard.

Check out the music video for "Dragon Lady":



The album was produced by Steve Fisk. Carla also has a MySpace page. As a bonus, I've included the two b-sides from the Dragon Lady CD5 issued in England and the otherwise unreleased "2 3 4" taken from Live from The Bottom of the Hill, a live promo CD released in 1996.

The Geraldine Fibbers - Lost Somewhere Between the Earth and My Home (1995)
1. Lilybelle (4:54)
2. The Small Song (3:30)
3. Marmalade (5:09)
4. Dragon Lady (4:49)
5. A Song About Walls (4:20)
6. House Is Falling (4:23)
7. Outside of Town (4:58)
8. The French Song (6:04)
9. Dusted (2:40)
10. Richard (5:24)
11. Blast Off Baby (4:09)
12. Get Thee Gone (6:36)
From Dragon Lady CD5 (1995):
13. Bitter Honey (2:01)
14. Birthday Boy (3:08)
From Live from The Bottom of the Hill Promo CD (1996):
15. 2 3 4 (2:57)

124MB ZIP archive
MP3: Variable bitrate (266kbps average)
Exact Audio Copy 1.0b3 (Secure mode) w/LAME 3.99.5 (-V0)

DOWNLOAD

18 comments:

Ted said...

I've been hoping to hear this one for about 2 years. Nels Cline, now with Wilco, is on guitar. It's interesting to see him in
yet another different context. And Carla! Someday I'll get her cover version of Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Man Kevin, you kicked it up a notch with the video... Awesome! I'm eager to give this one a listen. Thanks much!

Anonymous said...

Nels Cline did not play on this album. He played on the next (and better, in my opinion) album "Butch."

datakid said...

Yes, this was an amazing album - I highly recommend as well....

nffcnnr said...

This is one of my Top Ten Albums of All Timez! Thanks for the video link!
http://www.awesomeometer.blogspot.com/

Mechanolatry said...

Definitely, the greatest band you've never heard. Thank you so much for uploading this!

helen said...

hi, just wanted you to know that I am going to play "outside of town" on a goth radio show in Dunedin, New Zealand on the very happening Radio One local college station. I vaguely remembered the title, but vividly remembered the impression the song made on me about 7 years ago, when I bought the album second hand in Los Angeles. Because of you, this band/song will live live on the air in a very interesting corner of the world.
PS - qualifies as goth cause I said so and is in an all female theme show.
cheers,
helen

Blazej said...

Thanks a bunch for GF albums!!! I managed to download their songs a couple of years ago but my albums were incomplete, I lacked a few songs. Now I have them and I noticed differences in versions between a couple of songs: Marmalade, Get Thee Gone and Dusted. Now I'm checking Butch. Thanks a bunch once again!

Greetz!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to Rapidgator and is available now!

Kevin Sartori said...

For improved sound quality, I re-ripped the CDs with the latest version of the LAME MP3 encoder and uploaded the share to Rapidgator. Enjoy!

Kevin Sartori said...

Because Rapidgator has become unreliable, the share has been uploaded to Game Front and is available now!

Von Preussen said...

Hey Kevin! The link you posted sadly doesn't work anymore.

Kevin Sartori said...

Von Preussen, I just double-checked the link and the share is still available for download. Please try again! With GameFront, you have to answer a one or two question survey to get to the download link. Let me know if you still can't get it and we'll figure something out!

Von Preussen said...

Thank You very much Kevin! Btw. You are doing a great job!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to Uploaded.net and is available now!

rob gronotte said...

Can't find the Uploaded.net link, the one above still is a dead link to GameFront.

I'd to see the full "Live From The Bottom Of The Hill" promo posted if you have it; as well as "Butch" and "What Part Of..." All my CDs are in storage across the country and I can't get to them! :(

Kevin Sartori said...

Thanks for the heads up, Rob. I'd uploaded it to Uploaded.net, but forgot to change the link here! Unfortunately, I can't help with 'Butch' or 'What Part' because they are still in print and available from Amazon.com. I have most of my old CDs packed away still, but I'll try to get to the Live CD eventually!