Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Monday, May 21, 2007

Cornelius - The First Question Award (1994)

Following the dissolution of Japanese pop duo sensation Flipper's Guitar in 1993, Keigo Oyamada decided to go solo. A virtual one man band, Keigo decided to release records under the moniker Cornelius as an homage to the memorable character from Planet of the Apes.

This first full-length is a breezy and melodic album, self-released on the now-defunct Trattoria label. It runs all over the place sound-wise, but is still enjoyably cohesive. It serves as a good transition from the shibuya-kei sound of Flipper's Guitar to the crazy genre mish-mash material that followed. It's that later material that turned Cornelius into a Japanese superstar. On top of that, Cornelius is a highly sought after remix artist, the results of which often turn a tune inside out, while branding it with a sound that is distinctly recognizable.

As a bonus, I've included three extra tracks from Cornelius' first release, 1993's Holidays in the Sun E.P. I found both of these a while back at bittorrent tracker JPOPSUKI. Two of the five tracks from the Holidays in the Sun E.P. also appear on The First Question Award. I replaced the first track with the higher bitrate encode, but didn't do so with "Raise Your Hand Together" because the E.P. version actually fades out 15 seconds sooner than the LP version!

Check out the music video for Cornelius' "Theme from First Question Award." This live clip with his touring band unfortunately doesn't give the best sense of what the album sounds like, but is still pretty cool:



Cornelius - The First Question Award (1994)
1. The Sun Is My Enemy (5:49)
2. (You Can't Always Get) What You Want (4:00)
3. Silent Snow Stream (6:32)
4. Perfect Rainbow (4:20)
5. Bad Moon Rising (5:28)
6. Cannabis (4:36)
7. Raise Your Hand Together (6:01)
8. The Back Door to Heaven (6:27)
9. Theme from First Question Award (1:11)
10. The Love Parade (3:33)
11. Moon Light Story (4:08)
From Holidays in the Sun E.P. CD5 (1993):
12. Raise Your Hand Together (320 Light Years Mix) (6:43)
13. Diamond Bossa (Featuring The Cornelius Swindle Sisters) (3:20)
14. The Sun Is My Enemy (Sunset Boo-goo-loo Mix) (5:28)

103MB ZIP archive
MP3: (10x) Constant bitrate (192kbps)
iTunes 4.9 w/FhG &
(4x) Variable bitrate (259.6kbps average)
Exact Audio Copy w/LAME 3.96 (--preset fast extreme)

DOWNLOAD

9 comments:

Synthetic said...

Another great Cornelius album, thanks. It's nice to finally have my Cornelius collection completed. Now I suppose I'd better get some of his remix albums.

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! I've been looking for this album for soooooo long. Brings back some great memories. Many thanks

Some chick said...

<3

Anonymous said...

just found this page and was so excited to hear this... "69/96" is one of my favorite album and i've seen him live twice now (amazing live shows) but now the uploaders been shut down by US government so i'll have to keep looking...

Kevin Sartori said...

Yeah, I have to decide if I want to re-upload all of the shares to another site that may get shut down like Megaupload or maybe take the site down entirely.

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Radio Ciudadano said...

Thanks for uploading Cornelius's first album, artist I know because during the 2000s was broadcast in Chile for a couple of radio stations. The theme "Cannabis" I remember heard several times by Radio Concierto here in Chile. Greetings.

Anonymous said...

Thanx