Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Jill Jones - Jill Jones (1987)

Jill Jones' professional career started as a backup singer for Teena Marie, who opened for Prince on the Dirty Mind tour. It was there that the two crossed paths. Blown away by her extraordinary voice, Jones was invited to sing backup vocals on several tracks for the 1999 album, appearing in the videos for "1999" and "Automatic."

Of all Prince's various protégé acts, Jill Jones is the most singularly talented. Prince spent four years working with Jill creating her debut album. It contains some of the best "outtake" material from, arguably, Prince's most musically innovative and exciting period. Unlike the other acts under his control, Prince allowed Jill to phrase the vocals her own way and she was allowed to create her own persona. Even the cover of her album is very unPrince-like, completely lacking in that mid- to late-80s "romantic" look.

A true labor of love, Prince wrote and performed nearly all of the music on the album, with Jill contributing lyrically. Jill replaced Prince’s vocals on "All Day, All Night," a live performance with The Revolution during Prince’s 1984 birthday concert at First Avenue. In the summer of 1986, David Rivkin (aka David Z., drummer for The Revolution) helmed some sessions without Prince involvement at Electric Ladyland studios in New York. Billy Idol's fiery guitarist Steve Stevens, a friend of Jones, was brought in and three tracks were produced, Prince cover "For You" and b-sides "77 Bleeker St." and "Baby Cries (Ay Yah)."

While the album was critically acclaimed, it was unfortunately the victim of bad marketing. Released on Paisley Park Records, parent company Warner Bros. just never pushed it and MTV refused to play the promo video for "G-Spot" because it was considered to be too racy.

Check out the music video for "Mia Bocca":



Briefly released on CD, this has become a sought-after and expensive collectible which I, unfortunately, don't own. I found an excellent 256kbps rip of the album itself and a nice collection of high quality vinyl rips of the various single tracks using Soulseek. This compilation includes every 12" mix and b-side released during this period. I corrected the song titles of the non-album tracks by going over to Discogs and looking at their scans of the original singles. These extra tracks were mastered louder, so I used MP3Gain to manually correct the levels to match the volume of the album. For more information on Jill Jones check out her Unofficial Website, which includes an in-depth article from Uptown Magazine by Per Nilsen, author of the definitive Prince biography Dance Music Sex Romance.

Jill Jones - Jill Jones (1987)
1. Intro (Baby, You're a Trip) / Mia Bocca (7:20)
2. G-Spot (4:30)
3. Violet Blue (4:23)
4. With You (4:00)
5. All Day, All Night (5:40)
6. For Love (4:27)
7. My Man (3:15)
8. Baby, You're a Trip (5:22)
From Mia Bocca 12" (1987):
9. Mia Bocca (Extended Version) (6:04)
10. Mia Bocca (Dub Version) (5:52)
11. 77 Bleeker St. (Extended Version) (4:32)
From G-Spot 12" (1987):
12. G-Spot (Extended Version) (6:22)
13. Baby Cries (Ay Yah) (Extended Version) (6:44)
From For Love 12" (1987):
14. For Love (4-Play Remix) (7:29)
15. For Love (Bonus Beats) (4:54)

130MB ZIP archive
MP3: (8x) Constant bitrate (256kbps w/FhG) &
(7x) Variable bitrate (194.2kbps w/LAME 3.93)

DOWNLOAD

43 comments:

Anonymous said...

KS,
Thanks for all the fine offerings and also for adding my Mega Super Mammoth MPs Blog List to your blogroll. Keep up the good work.
-Evan

Anonymous said...

Great post Kevin! Wow, you really put a lot of work into these. Thanks!

bonjourtristesse said...

Well done Kevin! thanks a million!

Anonymous said...

Kevin, do you use a digital player, and if so, which one?

Kevin Sartori said...

Well, at work I listen to music with WinAmp using the Shibatch mpg123 plug-in to read the ReplayGain tags created with MP3Gain. At home, I listen to music using the Xbox Media Center on my modded Xbox. In the car I use my 20GB iPod, which I actually got for free from freeipods.com. Why do you ask?

Anonymous said...

I just figured since you're so paticular(in a great way) about your music posts, you might be just as paticular in what you listen to your music with. I'll check out that plug-in for winamp. Thanks a bunch!

Anonymous said...

I think wendy & lisa were the most gifted amongst prince's protégés

Kevin Sartori said...

Oh! Hehe, well, of course! I guess I don't think of them as a Prince protégé act because they were "in the band." 'Course, "the band" wasn't really much of a band because it was really just a collaboration between Prince and Wendy & Lisa. By the time Prince broke up The Revolution and Wendy & Lisa went solo, they weren't associated with Prince anymore.

But you're right, of course they were the most talented. But compared to the albums released by the other protégé acts, there is no comparison, including, in my mind, Sheila E., Vanity 6, Mazarati and The Time. Only The Family LP comes close to being as enjoyable as the Jill Jones LP.

kimduval805@hotmail.com said...

hello, i am a big fan of your blog living in france
i cannot open the file (the jill jones), i don't have the password :-(
how can i do?

Kevin Sartori said...

The password is under the download link! Here it is:

p-l-m.blogspot.com

Enjoy!

Dave said...

She also had a song on the soundtrack to the Geena Davies/Jeff Goldblum/Julie Brown movie Earth Girls Are Easy- it was called The Ground You Walk On, and was lyp-synched by Geena Davies while she destroyed her cheating boyfriend's television and aquarium.

Kevin Sartori said...

Thanks for leaving a comment, Dave! I have that soundtrack and considered tacking that track on the end, but it really doesn't sound like this material and, honestly, I don't think the track is very good. Anyhow, that's why I didn't include it.

Anonymous said...

sadly another thing that doesn't download right
darn

Kevin Sartori said...

Is it not downloading correctly or are you using the wrong software to open the RAR archive? Please check out my note over in the right-hand column:

"Please Read This First!"

pierreluc said...

Thanks a million Kevin. I have the vinyl but hadn't even heard of the 12 inches. I agree totally that she was the most talented. Wendy and Lisa were trained musician, I have three of their records and nothing comes close to Jill. She was a natural singer unlike all the others that try to sing. This is entertaining from start to finish. The only other Prince side-project that is of any interest, imho, is Ingrid Chavez. Once again, thanks for your blog.

Anonymous said...

Yet another hard to find release - found easily. Thanks, Kevin!

Mitch Raineer said...

Dude! Been looking for the original "Night of the Living Dead" soundtrack for like 2 decades! Had a buddy in college who had the original cassette tape. Found your page from another link. Great site! Lots to offer. You made my day! Nice. In your debt.

Mitch Raineer said...

Hey sorry I posted the "NOTLD" comments here. Found this Jill Jones link in the meantime & didn't realize it...but...as a huge prince fan...THIS is also the coup de gra! Always dug this chick in the 1999 video...didn't know who she was...now I do. Great music. You are 2 for 2 bro! Made my day TWICE! Keep up the good work.

muracehoneybears said...

absolutely fantastic site..great job..love all the cool oldies...esquivel is my favorite and there were many i hadnt heard before..thanx..is the link for jill jones still active? when i go to megaupload i cant seem to get the download button to click...i have this cd but would love to hear the remixes...thanx

Kevin Sartori said...

I just tried it and it works fine. With Link-Protector, you sometimes have to let that window sit for a bit before the Megaupload page loads...

muracehoneybears said...

im sorry kevin.. i waited a few minutes but when i enter the 3 letters and hit the download button ..nothing happens...could i get a direct link?
heres my email
muracehoneybears@aol.com

muracehoneybears said...

tried another browser and i got it..thanx so much..
fantastic

Ortega13 said...

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!
Had the original vinyl but it was stolen years ago...now I put this CD & enjoy whenever, where ever

Anonymous said...

Thanks, once Again. You work on these posts like you're on steroids. Great work - amazing quality - fantastic taste. Love the Jill Scott. Once again - I have the vinyls (was a local bar & mobile DJ in Chicago once in another life). Didn't think I'd have the pleasure of hearing them again since my stuff is in storage. Gracias! John - Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Anonymous said...

Thanks for these tracks Kevin. I'm going through my old vinyl collection to see what I can get online - and you have the mixes of "Four Love"! Amazing.

Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Thank you man!! I had most of this from the original Napster days, but at a lower kbps. This is great to get everything at a higher rate and all the songs. I am very thankful!!! Take care.

:travis.

d said...

You F'in ROCK!! I have this on CD and had 2 of the 12 inch singles but never heard them before I lost them when someone broke into my storage and stole all of my Prince collection among other things.

Anonymous said...

A big thank you from Germany! I was looking for Jill Jones' debut album for hours, avoiding strange download sites like mp3sparks - and U made my day!

Adam said...

I was just looking for this recently. Had the vinyl in the late 80s but lost it somewhere along the way. Thank you! Love these old Prince purple circle postings.

Anonymous said...

I have the same comment as the one before me realy (Adam)... got the album lost track of it, but sometimes the two first song of this album pop somehow somewhere. Finally got them back, Thanks!
Robert

Funky Skynet said...

Another Prince production on my OS, thank you. The cover art reflect the new hip-hop area, and i like the crazyness of Jill Jones !

Lars Sørensen said...

Thank you for this gem.
Like several others I also have this one on vinyl in my garage (together with Madhouse) - but this DL is just perfect, especially with the extras as those things where extremely diffucult to get by, even then.
G-spot may have been too much for MTV, but Mia Bocca did get a serious swing here in Europe :-)
Didnt know the "Jill Jones story" - so a thanks for the comments also.

Merry christmas!!

fabrice said...

Thank you so much, Kevin , for making this real! Nice job, I must say!...
I've always thought Jill Jones was without a doubt the most talented of Prince's protégées and I must confess I used to have a big crush on her at the time... Nostalgia...
I used to take my LP and Remix Album (with the extended version of "Mia Bocca") at a DJ's club, and it was just CRAZY! I also remember catwalking (with a leather jacket on) during a fashion show, with the dub version of the same title! Quite hot, indeed!

Fabrice

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Shockadelicauk said...

Thanks so much, been looking for this everywhere!

Anonymous said...

This is GOLD. And you are THE MAN. Thanks :)

Jérôme said...

I was just ripping the CD today and looking for cover image I came across this post. Thank you very much for making the LP-converted MP3, I didn't even know about them. I was a big fan of everything Prince in the 80's, good memories listening to this album.
Best regards.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!

andrew Jones said...

Much thanks for this.....I am fortunate to own a vinyl and cd copy of this underated album.....However i do not own the extra mixes , B sides etc...so once again...

many thanks

Peace

AJ

taffysaur said...

cheers so much for this. i might never have heard this diamond in the rough otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the upload!!!!

Anonymous said...

Huge thanks for a great upload, been after this for ever, Baby you're a Star!

Kato said...

Truly amazing. More than 10 years after you originally posted this, the link still works.
Thank you. I'm about to hear Jill Jones for the first time. Coming straight here from the Automatic video, now on YouTube officially.