Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Monday, December 18, 2006

Madhouse - 8 (1987)

A fusion jazz-funk outfit with a fascinating Minneapolis sound, Madhouse only managed to release two albums, both in 1987. Ostensibly, they were just another band on the Warner Bros. distributed Paisley Park label. In fact, though, like most of the protege bands on Paisley Park, Prince was actually running the show. For this first album, there are no player credits, but Prince wrote and played all of the music, with Eric Leeds brought in to play the saxophone. The story goes that Prince created the band for Leeds to "front" to reward him for his years of loyal service. Prince wanted this album to stand on its own and pretended to have no involvement with it. An uncredited Vanity (Denise Matthews) also appears with a sexy bit of vocal moaning, lifted from an unreleased 1983 Prince song "Vibrator."

The mid-to-late 80s were a prolific period for Prince. 1986-1987, in particular was very busy. In addition to work on the projected triple LP Crystal Ball solo release, there were also LPs by protege bands Sheila E., Jill Jones, The Family and Madhouse. In my opinion, it was in this period that Prince produced his most fascinating and complex music.

All of this to say that Madhouse is great fun. It's instrumental fusion jazz with wild funk grooves, peppered with that post-Parade Prince sound. An absolutely amazing relic from one of pop music's greatest personalities.

For these two album postings, I've included all of Madhouse's 12" single mixes and b-sides as bonus tracks. I've pulled these from a bootleg CD release called Rehearsals & Mixes. These extra tracks were mastered louder, so I used MP3Gain to manually correct the levels to match the rest of the album. Madhouse's numbered songs are normally spelled out, but for some of the additional tracks, numerals were used. The titles may seem inconsistent, but they are exactly how they appeared on the label of each release.

Madhouse - 8 (1987)
1. One (7:17)
2. Two (5:28)
3. Three (3:15)
4. Four (2:23)
5. Five (1:16)
6. Six (4:28)
7. Seven (4:08)
8. Eight (10:03)
From 6 12" (1986):
9. 6 (End of the World Mix) (6:19)
10. Six and 1/2 (2:36)

78.5MB ZIP archive
MP3: Variable bitrate (231.0kbps average)
Audiograbber 1.83.1 w/LAME 3.97 (--preset fast extreme)

DOWNLOAD

39 comments:

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

Anonymous said...

I was so excited when I saw this post! Unfortunately, the download failed to open.

Thanks anyway!

Kevin Sartori said...

It's a password protected archive. Did you use the proper program to extract it? Check out my "Please Read This First!" header at the top of this column. Many people have downloaded this and you're the first to say it doesn't open...

Anonymous said...

I was able to open Madhouse 16 using the password, so I'm going to try opening 8 again.

Thank you VERY, VERY, VERY much for both!

Anonymous said...

I was able to download M8 too! Many thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Greatly appreciated!

John Eje Thelin said...

Thanks so much for this, but just because I see this in severla places here; that's Sh_EI_la, not Sh_IE_la E.

Speaking of which, you wouldn't happen to have her eponymous lbum, would you?

Kevin Sartori said...

Ha ha, wow, what an idiot I am! I can't believe I spelled Sheila E's name wrong that many times!

Thanks for the catch! Sorry, I don't have her self-titled album. Apparently that's a tough one to find...

Anonymous said...

I lost both Madhouse 8 & 16 Lps in a flood back in 88'. The Cd's are no where to be found and I gave up looking years ago. I flipped out when I saw this post. Sadly, the link is unavailable for download. Please, re-up the link if it is not to much trouble.

Thank You in advance!

Kevin Sartori said...

I just checked and the share is still available. If Link-Protector is causing you problems, email me and I'll send you the direct download link.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe how great this music still sounds. Plus, the bonus
b-side material. I am speechless.

Thanks a million!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Following your instructions I was able to download 8, which is totally awesome! I was one of the lucky guys who enjoyed Madhouse as a pre-act in Prince's stunning 1988 Sign o' the Times Tour in Germany.
Anyway, I just noticed, that the first song ONE was not downloaded. Any ideas what could've happenend or how I can get ONE? thx :-)

Mike Stone (Notorious) said...

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the download. I lost this album in some public storage location. Glad to know that you had it on your blog page.

Once again, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Could you please leave here rapidshare link for downloading this album. I really need it.
Best regards,
Tony

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I don't need it. Downoload successful. Thank you very very very very very :-) ... Much!

Hoodlum said...

Madhouse 16 downloaded without any issues. 8 doesn't seem to want to be coaxed from wherever it is: progress bar, then page cannot be displayed :(

Hoodlum said...

As an additio to the above, I am attempting to click your link further up the page ;)

Hoodlum said...

Just as the universe unfolds as it should, so the download suddenly and mysteriously works.

Lovely stuff.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this!!! I only have this on cassette, and now the cheapest I can find a CD of this fantastic album is $50!

Anonymous said...

if anyone has any other prince related associated material id appreciate it. im looking for a few 90s releases in particular Rosie Gaines Closer than Close, Ingrid Chavez debut lp, and Mayte Child of the Sun. Any others from the 80s-current would be helpful as well. thanks for the madhouse/jill jones/family stuff never thought id find digital copies

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin . A million Thanks!!!!, man, for decades I ve been searching this stuff, no results. Now thanx 2 U, ALL IN ONE PACK!!! GOD BLESS YA!!!

Patricia said...

This was the best download ever. I used to play "Eight" when my brother was a baby and he grew up humming the tune. He turns 21 on 7/26 and I have been looking all over for this CD. This is a great gift. UR the BEST for posting....

Michiel said...

what can I say? you're a star!
thx ever so much, missed this music for too long

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, you are officially now my hero.
I keep a runnning list of CD's/LP's I missed the boat on "back in the day" and have been searching relentlessly for for years.

What a goldmine I stumbled upon here.
Thank you so very much for making these impossible-to-find's...POSSIBLE!!

Kevin said...

Unbelieveable! Thank you SO much! What a find! I have all of Madhouse on vinyl, and couldn't give up $50 for a CD.
_o/7_ (bowing to your greatness!)

Anonymous said...

U made my day!! ... ehmmm made my month ? oh heck you made my year !! Thanks for the Madhouse, The Family and Jill Jones tracks !!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for this since at least 1998!!! WOW!! I didn't know this was Prince until 2008!

Anonymous said...

Great! I bought this album in the 80s and i lost it, gave it to a freind it it never returned. Now i am happy! And the madhouse 16 too! i've never heard it before! Thank you soooo much, you made my day!

And in july i see the little master live!

Do you know the N.E.W.S album? Sure, another jazzy prince album with no voice but a crazy guitar!

Anonymous said...

what is this shit, do you want the kids or what!!! I can't cope!!!

Kevin Sartori said...

Awesome comment! I assume it's a mistake and I almost moderated it, but it cracked me up too much so I left it!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, would love a link to this album if you have the time. Great post!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

TheLakersSUCK said...

please post madhouse 24 (1988 version)

Kevin Sartori said...

Sorry, but I don't have any versions of 24.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Been searching for years!!!!! Thank u Thank u Thank u

LaTosha Brown said...

Thank you! This is AWESOME!!!

Pops said...

Is there a link for madhouse 16 ?

Kevin Sartori said...

Madhouse's 16 has it's own page here:

Madhouse - 16 (1987)