Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Monday, December 18, 2006

Madhouse - 16 (1987)

Madhouse's second and final album appeared in the same year as their debut. This one sports a gangster motif: buxom cover model Maneca Lightner returns, this time toting a Tommy Gun, and the music contains occasional samples from The Godfather. According to an interview with Eric Leeds on The Last Miles, the players on this album are actually Eric Leeds on saxophone, Levi Seacer, Jr. on bass, Sheila E. on drums and, of course, Prince. The actual touring band is credited on the CD liner notes: Prince and Sheila E. are substituted with Matt "Doctor" Fink on keyboards and John Lewis on drums.

The subtitle under the album title is "New Directions in Garage Music," which I suppose gives us either Prince's perception or intention. Shortly afterward, Prince merged Madhouse into his New Power Generation. It's possible to get a sense of where Madhouse might have headed by listening to the Eric Leeds solo albums that followed. Eric Leeds' solo debut Times Squared, in particular, is based mostly on unrealized Madhouse material.

Check out the combo music video for "Ten" and "Thirteen":



As with my post of 8, I've included all of Madhouse's 12" single mixes and b-sides as bonus tracks. I've pulled these from a bootleg CD release called Rehearsals & Mixes. These extra tracks were mastered louder, so I used MP3Gain to manually correct the levels to match the rest of the album. Madhouse's numbered songs are normally spelled out, but for some of the additional tracks, numerals were used. The titles may seem inconsistent, but they are exactly how they appeared on the label of each release. As a final bonus, I've included as the final track the band's last official release, "17." This appeared on the compilation 1-800 NEW FUNK, released by the newly-formed (and, like Paisley Park, also Warner Bros. distributed) NPG Records in 1994. As I don't own this disc, I grabbed a nice LAME encoded 192kbps MP3 version using eMule. Although released in 1994, it's unclear what year this track was actually recorded.

Madhouse - 16 (1987)
1. Nine (2:06)
2. Ten (5:04)
3. Eleven (6:13)
4. Twelve (5:12)
5. Thirteen (4:45)
6. Fourteen (5:12)
7. Fifteen (3:48)
8. Sixteen (4:14)
From 10 12" (1987):
9. 10 (The Perfect Mix) (7:12)
10. Ten and 1/2 (3:18)
From 13 12" (1987):
11. 13 (The Paisley Park Mix) (7:49)
12. 13 and 1/4 (5:45)
From 1-800 NEW FUNK Compilation CD (1994):
13. 17 (5:24)

111MB ZIP archive
MP3: (1x) Constant bitrate (192kbps) &
(11x) Variable bitrate (238.6kbps average)
Audiograbber 1.83.1 w/LAME 3.97 (--preset fast extreme)

DOWNLOAD

48 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks much!

Katya Oddio said...

Hey thanks! We lost this recording in a flood this summer.

The Oracle said...

I knew there had to be some people in the world that were willing to just share this music without trying to make a buck out of it. Of course, I have to find this out a week after I've paid good money to get said music. :-(

Kevin Sartori said...

Hehe, my sympathies. I've been there myself...

Jonathan said...

Thanks so much for sharing these! I had just ordered 16 used on Amazon, but I didn't have the extras. The last time I heard 8 was when I borrowed a friend's vinyl copy in high school, just before it got stolen out of my locker. :) Any other Prince-related rarities would be most appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I had these stollen from me a while back and miss the dearly still.

When I stumbled across this site, accidentally, I was surprised to see that they were being offered for download.

The problem now is that I have a Mac and everytime I download the files, I can't open them. If there is anyone out there that know a way to open these files or have Mac friendly files of "Madhouse 16 (1987) please email me at: hungkongkung@yahoo.com

Thank you.

repete said...

thanks a lot. i've been looking for this for a while on ebay (germany) and it was either not there or to expensive.

Anonymous said...

Any chance of the unreleased 24 album and other rarities?

Kevin Sartori said...

Sorry, but I don't have either of the two different 24 bootleg compilations floating around.

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

João Gabriel said...

Wonderful!

Thank you from Brazil!

bigboyg said...

Thanks a lot Kevin. I have been look a long time for 8 and 16 and the extras. I purchased all of them back in the 80's but lost them in move. Some folks just wanted to much money.
Any chance on other Prince's 12" remix releases?

Adam said...

A Very Big THANK YOU for this! I had the 16 Casette for years and after a while, it pretty much vanished, not that I have much to play it on now. MP3s were very scarce, and the cost of the CDs on ebay and Amazon usually runs $75!

Glad to see you sharing this rare gem, and even more glad to once again listing to tracks like Ten and Eleven!

Mike Stone (Notorious) said...

You helped me recover another great "lost" album from Prince's camp. Thanks again, bro!

- Mike Stone

Peter said...

I have 8 and 16 of course, and even the B-sides on 12", but I never put them on cd. THANKS bigtime for posting that. Very cool !!

Anonymous said...

Incredibly strange blog. Really enjoying this. It's like you're coming from left field - out of my field of vision. Thanks for the Madhouse with the attached singles & 17. Haven't heard this stuff since the '80's. Still have the singles on 12 inch though. Didn't think I would hear them for quite a while. Thanks for this. I do appreciate the work & the craft that you are putting into your blog. It's strangely superb. Thank you, friend. John - Atlanta, Georgia, USA.

Anonymous said...

Thnx a lot.
Have lost these cd's ages ago, lending them out to people because i was so enthousiastic. Finally I'm able to hear them again.

E.

Yotte said...

Thanks for posting this and 8. Like so many others, I loaned my copies to the to the long forgotten and have been missin' them ever since. It's great to get a chance to listen again.

Renee said...

thank you so very very much for having this and making it easily available!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have both 24's, but have no idea how to post them. I have those and a bunch of P stuff that isn't anywhere online. If you need them just let me know. Post a message on here with a IM address or something..

Anonymous said...

thanks for the B-sides to, so awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this!! Been trying to find this for years.

Jm said...

Many thanks for all the great music! I'm very excited to hear some new tunes I otherwise wouldn't have heard.

jopo said...

Thanks for 16!
Saw Madhouse playing in Utrecht Holland back in 1987 or so and was completely awed by them. 8 was often in my CD player but 16 somehow never made it.
Thx, J.

Anonymous said...

Been looking for this, I had it on cassette way back in the day, who knows where it is now! Great to have it again, thanks!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the great post. have the two lp's tucked away in a box in a barn - haven't seen teh light of day for 10 yrs +. woke up this morning thought i'd LOVE to hear them again and i'm about to now. thanks.

John said...

Thanks so much. I had these as cassette tapes and like with most cassette tapes they were damaged within 3 or 4 years of constant play. So great to hear Madhouse 8 and Madhouse 16 after so many years. track number 8 was very influential. I am a flutist and love that track to this day. Even though I am in classical musician, the creativity in improvisation are just inspiring! Thanks again!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Honey2012 said...

Thanks for sharing. I had copies of both 8 and 16 on cassette,you know the rest of the story. I'm a happy girl today thanks to you.
Peace
P.S If you get a chance check out the latest Wax Poetics
magazine (Prince is on the cover) they did a great issue on all things Prince.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Thank you SO MUCH.


I used to play this vinyl to death. haven't heard these tracks in 15 years and they sound as great as ever. Unbelievable. You rock.

JawsOfJosh said...

Thank you so much for the share! I appreciate your work!

Nate Johnson said...

Thank you so much. I was able to download 8 but 16 may be expired. Can you re-upload the link please. I really appreciate you bringing good music back.

Kevin Sartori said...

Nate Johnson, I just double-checked the link and it's still good (I'm downloading it now). Maybe try again! If you're still having trouble, let me know and I'll upload it to Rapidgator.

Anonymous said...

Been searching for years. Thank you!

Mr 1 tWo

Armand Sears said...

Thank u so much for giving me back some of the back seat lovin from my past ;)

peterpeter said...

thank you !!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping hard to find musical gems accessible for everyone!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD !!!!!!

This is just brilliant, I have the Jill Jones album, 8 and 12 on vinyl,like everyone dearly want it on MP3 so we actually start listening to the real stuff again, thank you my man!!!

Bill Morales said...

950I loved these albums. I lost my collection due damage of home. I have not been able to find anywhere until now. Thank you very much!

The Abbott said...

Thank you for keeping your blog and the downloads up to date. I just lost my whole music collection, and you have a bunch of albums I needed to replace. Your blog is awesome. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

You Rock Bro. you are absolutely Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been trying to find Madhouse for aleast 15-20 years now and I stumbled across your blog while looking for something else. WOW now I am really happy X10. Thanks bro. for realizing that this is music that many people have never heard/heard of and would otherwise be lost and needs to be re-exposed to the public so people can see what really cool and funk/jazz etc is suppose to sound like or can sound like.
Dude/Bro you just made my day/year.
I am going to share this music and your site with as many people as I can.

Thanks again for sharing the "GOOD-STUFF" and keep up the great work.

Your Bro. in the Music. (IAM).

Miles said...

My humble gratitude for sharing both this, and 8. I have been reunited with some great, but long lost tunes thanks to your kindness. Much appreciated!

Ian said...

Thanks for sharing the Prince - related stuff, especially The Family.

Anonymous said...

thank you so much ! I searched these albums (8 and 16) for a long time...now my Prince official discography is full.

DeeDee Hollyfield said...

thank you thank you thank you!

JettaP said...

Looked for MadHouse 8 & 16 for a while with no luck. Download worked great. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Very grateful. Love both these albums and have them on vinyl, along with the singles/b sides - but don't have a turntable at the moment. Was just watching an interview with Eric Leeds - and need a Madhouse fix - thanks!