Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Saturday, December 08, 2007

A Lump of Coal (1991)

Update 11/29/2013: I've removed this share because this album has been released digitally by Funzalo and is available from Amazon.com and iTunes. Show your support by buying it today!

Released just after First Warning joined BMG Distribution, this Christmas compilation draws on artists from the First Warning stable (Drunken Boat, Divine Weeks and Clockhammer) plus others from various BMG distributed labels. It's a mish-mash alternative rock collection that remains a Christmas favorite. The standout tracks here are by Hoodoo Gurus, Drunken Boat, Carnival Art, Clockhammer and Henry Rollins. In fact, it's this album that introduced me to the criminally obscure Clockhammer, still one of my favorite bands.

Henry Rollins' cut here is probably the best. It's a bizarre spoken word piece, in which he is joined by legendary Rollins pal Joe Cole, who provides a musical backdrop consisting of an ominous bass line and various sound effects (including gunshots and helicopters). It's an incredible bit of twisted Christmas cheer.

And on that note, Merry Christmas, y'all!

A Lump of Coal (1991)
1. Hoodoo Gurus - Little Drummer Boy (Up the Khyber) (2:19)
2. Crash Test Dummies - The First Noel (3:38)
3. The Wedding Present - Stepping into Christmas (4:44)
4. Drunken Boat - Blue X-mas (To Whom It May Concern) (4:15)
5. Divine Weeks - O Holy Night (4:48)
6. Carnival Art - Bring a Torch Jeannette Isabella (3:56)
7. The Primitives - Silent Night (2:09)
8. Young Fresh Fellows - O Little Town of Bethlehem (2:51)
9. The Odds - Kings of Orient (4:25)
10. Clockhammer - Here Comes Santa Claus (2:30)
11. Henry Rollins - Twas the Night Before Christmas (4:05)

65.1MB ZIP archive
MP3: Variable bitrate (228.6kbps average)
Audiograbber 1.83.1 w/LAME 3.97 (--preset fast extreme)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Merry Christmas to you too!

Paul F. said...

Great album. When I was still a modern rock DJ I played quite a bit from this album each December. Good share...

Anonymous said...

Great share! It's a classic to me -- I've listened to it every Christmas since it came out. I never knew there were videos, though. Thanks again ;)

jeffen said...

Ah I remember when this came out, imperfect yet good for a few listens.

http://musicruinedmylife.blogspot.com/

Kevin Sartori said...

Download link was expired/deleted. Re-uploaded and available for download again!

Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic compilation. Really only one or two duds and everything else is excellent. Especially Crash Test Dummies, Rollins, The Wedding Present, and Clockhammer. It was a staple of my radio show every December from 1991-1994. I love it dearly.

Amy in Vermont said...

Wow, thanks so much for making this available. 15+ years ago, when I made a Christmas compilation tape for friends and family, this album was featured a lot. Love the CTD, especially. Now the master cassette is completely shot, horrible sounding and must drag myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century. MP3 files here we come. Finding some of these old songs has been fun if not challenging. Thanks again!

Hingehead said...

Thanks for this rip, I can leave my vinyl in it's sleeve. Cheers!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks so much for this. I looked for it everywhere for many years and finally found it in a charity shop....and there was no disc in the case! Gutted. Bought the cover anyway, well I donated 50c to them and came home to search for the tracks. So glad to have found your upload.

Chris Elzinga said...

it's been pulled from MediaFire.. any other way I can get this?

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been re-uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to Rapidgator and is available now!