Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Dumb Earth - Walk the Earth (1997)

Update 03/04/2012: I've removed the share because this album has been released digitally by Rubber Records and is available now from Amazon.com and 7digital. Show your support by buying it today!

Over at Another Nos Product by MoogPower, there was a posting for Dry Land, the third and latest album from Melbourne band The Dumb Earth. Ever since I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago, I just can't stop listening to it! This being the case, I decided that I really should Do The Right Thing® and buy it. As this Australian band has only had CD releases down under, I had to find a retailer there that was willing to ship to the US at a reasonable fee. This is an unpaid endorsement here, but Red Eye Records did the trick. While I was there shopping, they also had a used copy of The Dumb Earth's out-of-print 1997 debut Walk the Earth. Cost averaging the overseas shipping on two discs was easier to justify, so I grabbed it too.

Check out the sexy music video for "I Closed My Eyes." This was directed by filmmaker Adam Spellicy, founding (and former) guitarist for The Dumb Earth, now in The Hired Guns:



If lumbering bass lines, short guitar interjections and avant jazz-club sax is your thing, well, you're in luck! Throw in occasional trombone, trumpet, piano, piano accordion and vibraphone and you have the complete package. David Creese (vocals, drums, percussion) leads with whispered/spoken lyrics in the beat noir tradition. While I generally dislike comparisons, I have to say that if you like Tom Waits or Nick Cave, you're probably going to dig this. The band's official web address leads nowhere, but you can check out their MySpace page for more info.

The Dumb Earth - Walk the Earth (1997)
1. Taxi Me Through (5:02)
2. I Closed My Eyes and a Truck Came Through the Window (3:36)
3. Tailem Bend (5:05)
4. Your Broken Ideas (3:01)
5. Edge of Despair (2:56)
6. This Is What I'm Saying (10:08)
7. Rib Spreader (5:17)
8. Imbecile (3:06)
9. Blue Sky and a Bird (5:08)
10. Blues in Love Major (3:14)
11. Broken Man (5:21)

8 comments:

Carl said...

Hi there, thanks for the upload :)
I once owned this album (since lost) & have been hanging out to listen to it again.

I'm having trouble with the pasword.
p-l-m.blogspot.comThat is what I use, but it shows up as 'wrong password'.

Thanks
-Carl

Kevin Sartori said...

It should work! Which program are you using to extract with? Check out the Please Read This First section at the top of the page! Let me know if you're still having trouble!

Carl said...

Thanks Kevin

I'm using the latest version of 7-Zip.
I've tried typing the password & also pasting it, no luck either way.

Kevin Sartori said...

I'm not sure what to say, Carl. I just downloaded and installed 7-Zip 4.65. Then I went to the Megaupload page and downloaded the archive (I wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem on their end). I right-clicked on the RAR file, went to 7-Zip and then Extract Here. A window pops up that lets you type the password in. I checked the Show Password box and then typed in the password:

p-l-m.blogspot.com

It extracted fine. It's weird. Maybe your original download is corrupt? If you can't get it going, email me and we'll work something out...

Carl said...

Re-downloaded, that did the trick :D

Thanks for the help & especially thanks for the download.

Anonymous said...

Hey...
Thank you so much. The music from Zatoichi are much appreciated. As is the TFUL282. Thought I'd never see that again. Thanx also for being so detailed in description of/date of some of these. You're doing a marvelous thing sir.

Anonymous said...

The Dumb Earth were originally from Adelaide. when this album was released they were still living there. they soon moved to Melbourne after the release of this album. was also released on double vinyl on the sexy diablo label and had a bonus track called 'the fly killer'. they released three (i think) albums following this and are now no longer.

Anonymous said...

I have the original CD, bought in Cairns back in the day and rediscovered it today when I was going through some stuff. Currently listening to it on my deck and remembering old times. Was surprised to hear there are more albums, I'm searching them out tomorrow but tonight belongs to Walk The Earth...