Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Three Suns - Here Come the Suns (1958)

The Three Suns were a trio that formed in 1939. They produced music throughout the 40s, 50s and 60s. An "easy listening" band, their music became most interesting once they signed to RCA in the late 50s. In my mind, they are the pre-eminent band in the whole "exotica/lounge" movement, even more so than Esquivel. The crazy stereo separation effects of their later Stereo Action records for RCA are particularly exciting for me. But, hey, I'm no expert. But you know who is? Michael David Toth of The Three Suns Universe. So go check out his page and get yourself all edjamacated.

For some unknown reason, RCA has never seen fit to release any of The Three Suns' LPs on CD. An unfortunate oversight, to be sure. I believe that the popularity of the retro lounge scene has peaked, so we may never see official releases. Sounds Fun! subsidiary label Astro Age has released four CDs (two singles and one double) of material by The Three Suns. These are not official releases and have been mastered from vinyl, but sound excellent. Because these releases are really bootlegs (which I paid for), I have no issue with putting them up here. The only real issue the discs have quality-wise is that the audio level is very low and fluctuates album to album. Many of the albums needed to be boosted by 12dB or more. I could have taken the easy route of ripping each track to .wav and just maximizing the level of each track individually. Easy, but wrong. So, after ripping to .wav, I used WaveGain, to maximize the levels. I used "album gain" mode to group normalize each album and single as a separate set of files to maintain the track-to-track audio differences of each LP or 45.

My plan is to eventually upload all eight releases. I figured I should do them in order. I probably won't do them in a row, though. The exception in my plan is A Ding Dong Dandy Christmas! LP, which I'll do out of order and last, hopefully in time for Christmas. One of the Astro Age discs has a group of "Rarities!" tracks tacked on to the end. I'm going to place these rarities chronologically at the end of certain LPs as bonus tracks. This first release is the four track Here Come the Suns 7" EP from 1958, with the two track Rainbow 7" single from 1959 thrown on as a bonus. Both of these are mono releases, but were mastered (and encoded) in stereo (dual mono, really). For more info on this release, including the original liner notes, check out its page over at Michael David Toth's The Three Suns Universe.

The Three Suns - Here Come the Suns (1958)
1. Harbor Lights (2:18)
2. The Message (2:17)
3. Kandy Kazoo (2:07)
4. Smoke Rings (3:00)
5. Rainbow (2:18)
6. Tweety (2:36)

22.3MB ZIP archive
MP3: Variable bitrate (212.5kbps average)
Audiograbber 1.83.1 w/LAME 3.97 beta 2 (--preset fast extreme)

DOWNLOAD

12 comments:

Yves Abouchar said...

Hey,

I fell in love with The Three Suns' version of "Danny's Inferno" on one of those lounge compilations. The track was just so much fun. I've grabbed a ton of stuff from thrift stores etc., but I can't find anything as upbeat and as fun as that track. Am I just hitting the wrong albums or what?

franz_cough@hotmail.com

Kevin Sartori said...

Well, "Danny's Inferno" is on 1962's Movin' 'n' Groovin', which is generally considered their "best" LP. I'll be uploading that eventually, as well as another favorite of mine, 1961's Fever & Smoke. Stay tuned!

squeezo said...

Thanks for 'Here Comes The Suns" - this is a rare item, I believe!

I'll sure stay tuned what will come up by them of your vaults. As I told you in the comments on your "Twilight Memories" post, I have the CD-version from RCA, so at least this was released officially.

*Cheers*

WOODY said...

Hi Kevin,
I just downloaded all the albums by the "Three Suns" I found on your great site and I have to thank you for these gems, absolutely appreciated.

I grew up in the fifties in Hamburg/Germany, where my parents often went home in the night accompanied by the musicians they listened to before in a Reeperbahn-Club - sometimes it has been a young accordion-player, so I still like this sound till today.

These "3Suns-Albums" bring back some fine memories & remenisences, so thanks again for your efforts and greetings!
Woody

June said...

Thanks for the Three Suns albums. Your blog is one of the best I've visited...great music, very informative and NO RAPIDSHARE! Keep up your incredibly good work. Thanks again!

sixtime said...

Hi I really thank you for sharing. do you have three suns's v-disk elbum? I really want a song 'deep purple' three suns version..if you have please sharing me. thank you~

Kevin Sartori said...

Sorry, sixtime, I don't have that one.

Kevin Sartori said...

Share has been uploaded to MediaFire and is available now!

doc noc said...

Super site, gtreat lps~ Including the Three Suns~

Cherry Florentia Hadinata said...

Thank you for sharing!

radioman said...

many thanks

Deppaldi said...

thanks for all your work!